Array
    Status
    Vantaa, Finland
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56

New fella from Finland. 88 Mitsubishi L200

Ola, I'm from Finland, Vantaa which is probably pretty huge difference from other members here. Joining the community cause I'm working on my 1988 Mitsubishi L200 (4D56) as it's getting bigger turbo with front mounted intercooler etc. A bit in a trouble here cause haven't found anyone fitting a head sized T4 flanged turbo onto those engines and finding exhaust manifold (custom fabricated) for my application is nearly impossible. So hoping to get more info off from this forum. It's RWD and currently doesn't have exhaust nor intake manifold attached to it is waiting for further work to be done. Will add some pictures I got on pc.
    IMG_20180510_171032.jpgIMG_20180422_130813.jpgIMG_20180428_201232.jpg

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. There are members here from all over the globe - I didn't realise Finland had left drive cars (I learned something new!) The bigger turbo will completely transform the diesel truck. What is the back story behind you getting your L200? And it may require you checking under different model names to find harder to get parts. Keep us posted!
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vantaa, Finland
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56
    The way how I got the L200 was rather interesting. At the time I was working at the old place, then we had a need for a drive around vehicle that's fun and also can deliver parts (bring from the shop to workplace). So we first were checking around as some BMW's and some other casual vehicles until I noticed L200's on sale nearby. So we did a bit of check through and so. Eventually we found this beauty quite close to us. It paid 1500 euros ($1689) and had a turbo off from Saab 3.0 TDI engine. It was making 1Bar (14.5psi) of boost constantly under the load but peaked up to 1.4Bars (20.3psi). It was quite decent power (never made to dyno with that turbo). This L200 has welded rear diff and making burnout with 2nd gear was no issue for her with that little turbo. Didn't take long once we found that the turbo was quite done (the shaft had really big play around). So I decided to buy it off from the shop's owner who owned it that time and decided to start working on it. Well plan was good, but wasn't that easy to execute. I got external wastegate and also that turbo (the turbo itself is off a Volvo Penta diesel boat engine and was told to spool on low RPM which I really need). The car was left to sit since last spring and was now again week ago fired up and drove it around for like 13-15km. It's still working fine with no issues and hopefully I can get the turbo set up before winter. Work takes a lot of time and as we all know project cars do take stupid long time hehe. Getting the exhaust manifold fabricated for it will be 1st thing and of course also the hardest part here. Rest is quite simple.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Cool! The welded diff isn't a great idea to be honest but there are alternatives. A popular upgrade is an LSD rear end. The were an option and will make your L200 more driveable especially in the wet and off road. When you're planning to do something different, there are always obstacles but if you get the result you're looking for it'll be worth it.
    Last edited by geezer101; 04-20-2019 at 08:24 PM.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vantaa, Finland
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56
    Yeap, well the truck came with welded diff and it hasn't bothered me much since then. As the idea is to build it up so it remains as sleeper. The LSD rear end idea is good, but will be done IF I break that welded diff (which has not been successful so far). There is the big difficult side on tuning the 4D56 as there aren't any performance parts available for those.. If I want to get stronger crank or pistons or anything else then I probably have to have them custom made which takes lots of labor. But again it's a project car and will be done if needed :D

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome Raccoon; too bad I am not on vacation at your place; we could fabricate the exhaust & manifold no problem (if you have a TIG welder)... Maybe a retired pipe/shipyard welder person lives nearby that can help you..? Good luck & hope it runs better than new when finished... If you have not done so already; start doing dry-fits & accumulating tubing parts like elbows & fittings...

Have you seen the prices of new trucks: https://products.rivian.com/ ($90,000.00USD for the 400 mile range model) Plus the cost of electricity to keep it charged...

Array
    Status
    Vantaa, Finland
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56
    Xboxrox it's okay. Got myself some kind of experience with welding and looking forward to learn more. And I have been thinking what would be like best way to go with making "dummy" exhaust manifold of some cheap crap to find out how the end result would look like. If anyone got any ideas or has done "dummy" exhaust manifolds before going to create a manifold from steel. Luckily my idea with the manifold won't be so tough as going to make it pretty straight out as possible to have best flow for exhaust gas. And of course must keep in mind that the exhaust manifold sits underneath the intake. So I believe that I will have the intake manifold wrapped up with some heat protection to keep it cool from the exhaust. Don't want to wrap up exhaust manifold cause did like to let that heat escape from manifold itself than force it to go either back to head or turbo. And if I really think that I won't be able to handle the welding then I have pals around who could do it for me.

The new truck thingy, really weird :D Old cars lover here and all the respect goes to the elders.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Awrite Raccoon ~ try a geezer method of Google searching IMAGES of relevant things: i.e. manifolds, turbos, heat sink, thermodynamics (what turbos need to perform best) n' blah blah... Clicking on Goggle images leads to more knowledge & material resources, you know that already but dig deep, it might help... Anxious to see your end results...

Array
    Status
    Vantaa, Finland
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56
    Yeap.. I guess I will try to see and find pictures of similar exhaust manifold what I'm looking to get done. Been only checking for the 4D56 engine manifold which has been with no success, but will go ahead and start looking for other engines in hope to find more information or even some instructions. Cause hardest part will be the turbo flange where all the four pipes meet at. Making it smooth for flow is going to be a bit challanging, but with enough effort anything is possible. Taking it slowly cause currently lack of time and money to take it up for real. But hopes is to get it running by summer and hopefully get it past inspection at some point after that.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    For me, fixing shattered mirrors is too difficult; I'll just buy a new one (flange collector piece) and build outward from that ?

You have my Respect...

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If you are making a turbo manifold from scratch I think it is a wise decision not to use a thermal wrap on it. Depending on how much heat it is generating it could potentially temper the steel to the point where it becomes brittle, resulting in cracking. Shielding the impellor housing might not be a bad idea though.

Array
    Status
    Vantaa, Finland
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56
    XboxRox gotta then see if they got flange collector piece for my type of application or then if I go with the casual 4 pipe collector flange then it could be possible yeah.

Greezer101 yeah thought about that. As a lot of gas engine fellas they run heat/thermal wrap around the exhaust to keep the heat away from engine bay, but since I will be welding my own then and it's gonna be short for sure then heat is a big issue. So that's prolly only reason why I will not wrap the exhaust, but intake manifold to keep it from heating up.

Gotta see what internet has to offer and see what flange collectors shops around here have to offer.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Check this out (321 grade stainless): https://burnsstainless.com/blogs/art...-turbo-headers

Ceramic coating helps increase power & keep the engine bay cooler...

Gonna be a fun project & fun driver

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Regular fuel engines are different for a number of reasons. If you thermal wrap headers on a normal combustion engine, the hot exhaust gases maintains it's air speed velocity which in turn improves gas scavenging from combustion chambers. Better air fuel charge, improved performance (added bonus is reducing engine bay temperatures - heat kills torque through the air intake system)