Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Source for a head, head gasket question

So apparently I am rebuilding my 1983 Ram 50 with the 4d55. I will be posting many questions.

I pulled the head, and just about everything else, and it is cracked. So, I'm looking for a new head. There are plenty on eBay for a variety of prices, some bare and some with valves, cam, etc.

Does anybody know if there is a better or more reputable supplier?

Should I buy a bare head and transplant parts or buy one ready to go? I heard that the aftermarket cams are junk and that rollers are the way to go. Any thoughts?

Also, I have been advised to get an actual Mitsubishi head gasket. I got a guy willing to order a full gasket set from Japan for me for $375. Thoughts?

Array
    Status
    Lincoln, AR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F132283516040

I liked this gasket set a lot, and for an extra $16 they can give you an MLS gasket. Other than that, pay close attention to the gasket you buy. Our block is not mirrored, meaning the gasket only goes on one way. Make sure the side facing the block has metal material between the piston heads. When my buddy put this thing back together he was sold two gaskets in a rebuild kit that were misprints and had the metal on the head side, not the block side. The fiber material broke off and clogged the water channels and was the reason I had to rebuild.

and, I'm not saying ive made the best choice, but amazon sells a fully assembled head for $328. I went with that, cause the heads get hot eventually and fail, so common on here and the one I found in the salvage had a busted head. so I wanted to find an easy source for a head and make it work, knowing I could get it again. May prove folly, but so far so good.

IMG_1562.jpg
    This guy sold me a head with a seized camshaft and was unresponsive and was a pain in my ass.

Array
    Status
    USA, PNW
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Just checked on The Ebay, and the seller I purchased my head from out of the UK is no longer a registered user. So I can't make any solid recommendations. I'd say there are still reputable resources on ebay though.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Thanks for the replies, y'all. I am eyeing the head on amazon. I'd love to hear feedback from anyone using it, but I need to pull the trigger soon. Parts are accumulating but I'm waiting for the pump and turbo to be rebuilt.

Array
    Status
    Lincoln, AR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    So far so good for me. My only issue is I am leaking fuel somewhere. Admittedly mine only has a few hours of operation at this point, and a few miles to the alignment shop. Head seems solid, very quiet compared to my original setup with the flat rockers. Pretty sure my issue is the leak off washers have been reused too many times and aren't sealing. Only have two new ones in my parts so I had to order those. Going to replace a squeaky belt and all the rubber fuel hose in the meantime. Should have more feedback soon.

Array
    Status
    Estacada Oregon
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Young Star Motors is a source for heads. 908611=early 4d55(large injector, protruding valves) 908612 is for 4d56(protruding valves smaller injector) 908613 is later 4d56(recessed valves). AliExpress is where I got my mine. Along with a 4d56 short block.