Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Dr. Geezer's good ol' engine cleaning technique

I tried Geezer's trick for cleaning the engine bay with non caustic oven cleaner, and it worked really well.
    I used Easy-Off brand regular strength oven cleaner, the blue can (the yellow one has lye in it), and it worked just as Geezer said. It's non-caustic so you don't even need to use gloves with it.
    I sprayed a whole can into the engine bay, let it sit for about 10 minutes, and then sprayed it off with the mildly pressurize hose from the DIY car wash (stronger than garden hose, probably not as strong as power washer), and a little help from a small brush.
    I was amazed by how easily the grease and grime came off, like it was dust. But here's something that happened that I'm a little surprised by: the oven cleaner stirpped the paint right off the radiator, exposing the brass surface.
    The cleaner didn't damage or alter any other finish on the engine bay (paint on firewall, aluminum, rubber, etc), but the radiator paint came right off.

I'm very happy with the result, engine looks great, and I will just hit the radiator with some spray paint soon so no big deal, but it's interesting that that's the only surface/material that was affected by it.

Anyone has had a similar experience?

IMG_8371.jpgIMG_8370.jpgIMG_8365.jpg

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hmmm. Only explanation I can offer on the radiator is it had a bunch of spider web cracks in the paint and the oven cleaner got under it. Give the radiator a shot of satin epoxy black spray paint and it'll look like new. The oven cleaner is freaking amazing for engine cleaning but it seems to have a really hard time with attacking the gunk inside of transmission bellhousings. Maybe something to do with the composition of gearbox oil
    If only I had known about oven cleaner a lot earlier I could've saved myself grief and time.

p.s. your engine bay came up a treat
    Last edited by geezer101; 04-13-2019 at 11:05 PM.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post

p.s. your engine bay came up a treat

Agreed. Thank you for the tip, professor!