Thread: Crankshaft pulley nightmare

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Crankshaft pulley nightmare

Hey folks thought i would ask in the Gen 2 specific forum. I have a 1990 2.4l 2wd mighty max and well here's the back story. A few years ago I was in rougher financial shape and the mighty max developed what i thought at the time was a "death rattle" me being broke and also getting into motorcycles at the time i decided i would eek out what little life it had and get rid of it. Well it wasn't as bad as i thought but the damage was done. 2 of the 4 crankshaft pulley bolts had jumped ship, the other 2 were holding on by threads and i promptly snapped what little was left of the bolt by looking at it with a socket. Well i rolled up the sleeves and got a new set of reverse drill bits and got them out. The original crankshaft pulley is in rough shape and it just looks "bad" material had been removed due to the pulley moving all around. I went a step further and tried to level the damage and give it a fresh flat plane to reattach to. I don't think it worked, the pulley is rotating pretty far off from anything i would consider "balanced" The Mitsubishi manual labels the part in question as a crankshaft pulley. Many places on the web are calling it a harmonic balancer, regardless i can't find anything that looks like it will fit that is also labeled for a Mitsubishi. What am i doing wrong here? It uses 4 bolts to hold itself on, it has that timing marks on it but it doesn't look remotely like all the results i find that say "will fit 2.4L mitsu". It doesn't use the same belts that all the results show, it uses 2 v belts. One that goes crankshaft,alternator and cam. The other belt goes crank, pully, a/c. Please sage wizard of mighty max's out there hear my plea, what random a$$ car out there uses the same 4 bolt pulley?

Am i looking at this wrong?
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Engine%2DHarm...03963407&rt=nc

this is what i get for search results.

this is almost exactly what it looks like except it definitely uses v belts and not the ribbed type.
    harmonic.jpg

Does the large 18-22 mm nut that protrudes through the middle of the pictured pulley attach to what some would consider an older style of harmonic balance er? If i made sure to do my homework and account for the apparent fact that the book is technically off timing by one tooth could i expect to break loose that nut and find that whats behind it will accept the balancers google is trying to tell me will fit?

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    perhaps a used pulley from a member swapping out their 2.4 ?

Array
    Status
    Connectisuck, New England
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

6G72
    Yea man ebay look for used crankshaft accessory pulley/s
    Or post in the WTB classifieds on here people prolly be throwing them at you bru...

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    I have an extra crank pulley

Array
    Status
    Bibb,Alabama
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63
    I also have had problems with my pulley does anyone else have one they can get rid of i need the md150002 dual v belt pulley.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    If you check the Compatibility section for that eBay pulley/balancer, it's all 3.0 V6-engined variants; that's why it looks wrong for your 2.4, because it is.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")