Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    A cheap hand held dwell/tach meter will do the job. The dwell isn't much help on an ECM distributor system other than to tell you it's out of spec.

Here's my beef - new school shops can't (or don't understand how to) tune old school engines. There is a subtle art to digging up hidden performance in an old school and every shop I dealt with used the 'factory spec' tune. That's when I started doing my own tune ups and learning how to find that little extra. I had one bunch or muppets undo a good tune I performed on a friends Mazda 808 (40 minutes of dialling in the ignition and resetting the breaker points for optimisation) - when he picked it up from getting something else done to it, it was a slug compared to how it went in.
    I usually walk away if they say "we make it like the factory built it" or some version of that. It is a red light warning that they do not know about your rig and may not know about motors in general. Almost every vehicle gets improved and fixed after it has gone into production. Design flaws and other items not built properly show up and need changes. Frequently owners improve them too. If your shop doesn't know this or know to look up Technical Service Bulletins for what has changed on your vehicle they are probably not reliable.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post
    I usually walk away if they say "we make it like the factory built it" or some version of that.
    Which could also just be tail-covering; they're less liable if they tune everything "by the book". The factory tune may have been nerfed for emissions rather than performance, and doesn't account for upgrades like a better carb, replacing points with electronic ignition, etc.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 2WD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    Should I block this hose? I put my finger on it and its creating vaccum. I intend to put the original air cleaner on when I have the time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191006_144801.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	23535

The hose on the valve cover is the one I mean.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    You have 2 options - there is either an elbow under the base of the air filter mount you can install that connects to the breather hose (most likely will make it compliant for emissions) or put a smaller breather element on it. But don't plug it up or delete it as it helps crankcase ventilation and recirculates gas build up back into the engine to be burnt.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net Get perks and donations $15 USD and over receive official MightyRam50.Net window decals

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by SubGothius View Post
    Which could also just be tail-covering; they're less liable if they tune everything "by the book". The factory tune may have been nerfed for emissions rather than performance, and doesn't account for upgrades like a better carb, replacing points with electronic ignition, etc.
    Book goes bye bye with a carb swap. The factory tune is a compromise between emissions and worst case scenario cold engine starts. If the tune is in the ball park it 'should' start. I'd encourage anyone who wants to learn sumpin' to buy feeler gauges, a hand held tach/dwell meter and a timing light (you're only going to need the timing light as a diagnostic tool to know what the base timing looks like. There's free performance up for grabs with some patience and trial and error.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net Get perks and donations $15 USD and over receive official MightyRam50.Net window decals

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    You have 2 options - there is either an elbow under the base of the air filter mount you can install that connects to the breather hose (most likely will make it compliant for emissions) or put a smaller breather element on it. But don't plug it up or delete it as it helps crankcase ventilation and recirculates gas build up back into the engine to be burnt.
    Got it. Thank you very much.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456