Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

87-89 KM-145 differences?

I looked around a bit but couldn't find an answer even my 87-88 parts catalog is confusing me. I recently picked up a transmission for my 87 LB 4x4 that came out of an 88 SB 4x4 and am curious about one big difference i noticed when I went to install the rear drive line. I am aware that the 88-89 had the longer cover for the back of the transfer case to accommodate the sensor and pulse wheel for the hub locked light that they added but I also noticed that the rear drive line yoke wont fit. I cant figure out if the long beds and extended cabs had a smaller yoke than the short beds or if they made it bigger for 88 and possibly newer? does anyone know if the U-joint size changed too or can i swap yokes so my drive line will work? I haven't seen any other threads where people have had this issue so i thought i would ask.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The Mitsubishi parts book I have lists the same rear shaft u-joint part number (MB000948) for 1984 through 1990 4wd trucks. For the t-case rear cover, output shaft and slip yoke, the respective P/Ns are the same '84 through '88 but change with the '89 model year.

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ok hmm so my trans must have come from an 89 then. thanks for your help! this should mean that i can swap yokes to use this trans/transfer case

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by StarquestMan View Post
    this should mean that i can swap yokes to use this trans/transfer case
    I think that's a sound conclusion. But check the bore in the yokes. If they match (.985" or so), that will confirm that swapping slip yokes is a possible option.

Also, measure the dimensions of the two slip yokes. If the outer length of the slip yokes and the internal depth available for the transfer case output shaft are similar, you should be good.
    Last edited by FMS88; 03-24-2019 at 10:01 PM.

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I actually already swapped them yesterday and it went right in (other than the part that the yoke on the good driveshaft was seized on pretty tight). hopefully this thread will help anyone else who is needing to swap transmissions around that the 89 is different than the 87-88. I guess this would indicate that each year from 87-89 was slightly different with 87 having the smaller sized yoke without the pulse wheel/sensor, 88 having the smaller yoke with the pulse wheel/sensor, and 89 having the bigger yoke and pulse wheel/sensor.