Array
    Status
    Colorado
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Talking 1981 D-50 2.0L starter wiring system

Hey guys I'm working on my 81 d50. we put in a new engine and we haven't had any problems until the starter we have the wire that comes from the positive battery cable but we can't find the other wire. The trigger wire or the signal wire. So if any one knows where we should look for that wire that would be great thanks!!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. The starter solenoid wire is a single female spade terminal connector on a sort of thick black wire with a yellow stripe. Look for the grimiest wire that seems to go somewhere by itself (the yellow wire with a red stripe and brown bands is the temp sender wire)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Colorado
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Ok we have two of those wires that go to the distributor and the thermostat all they supposed to go there too?

Array
    Status
    Colorado
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    There's the thinner yellow wire, black with white stripe and the black with yellow stripe. The wires have a tendency to discolour which can makes things tricky.
    Last edited by geezer101; 03-22-2019 at 01:32 PM.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Black with white stripe is connected to the ignition live circuit (there's a bullet connector that goes to the fuel cut solenoid on the carb as well). I have a feeling that wire in the pic is the starter wire. The plug that is on the end of it is sort of heavy duty compared to the sender wire plugs. Unplug it and try attaching a test light to it and turn the key (if you go over to the start position and it lights up, you know you found the starter solenoid wire)

*helpful tip - always have your phone handy when working on something you are unfamiliar with so you can take a pic. Saves you having to remember where everything is and like with the pic you posted up, if you run into an issue you have a reasonably good reference to show someone else and ask questions.

Array
    Status
    Colorado
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Ok so for testing the wire what volts does the tester need to be at?

Array
    Status
    Colorado
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    The one in the pic is the black and yellow striped one where does that one go to? Also the wire we have going to the distributor is yellow with a red stripe and is that in the correct spot?

Array
    Status
    Colorado
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Ok so we figured out the wires but the starter is making a clicking noise is that a bad starter or a bad solenoid?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Check all of your ground leads to the chassis and engine. If they are cruddy, they can cause all kinds of gremlins (take out the bolts/screws, clean all of the eyelet connections with degreaser* and steel wool and make sure they're all firmly connected afterwards). Check the main positive power cable from the battery to the starter motor - look for sulphation/corrosion and signs of wear and damage, replace it if necessary. Check your battery condition - fluid levels/cold starting voltage (the old school hydrometer is a long forgotten tool - this will tell you what your acids' specific gravity is like)

*tip - use non caustic oven cleaner to clean engines etc. Works like magic, is cleaner to use, non combustible, less effort, awesome for cleaning greasy hands with too (not recommended as a deodorant, breath freshener or as an eye treatment...)

If you still have starter issues, you'll need to look at the starter itself. You have click but no kick - brushes are fouled or excessively worn. I have successfully resurrected bad starter motors a few times - disassemble it, give it a ferocious clean inside, clean the contacts on the armature gently, check the brushes haven't jammed from all the debris built up around them and haven't worn down to nothing (replace them if necessary), repack grease from wherever you have cleaned it out and reassemble. Do not install it - put it on a bench, hook up jumper leads to it (negative on the body of the starter, positive to the main connection on the solenoid) and bridge power from the main connection to the starter wire terminal (starter motors can be temperamental and may not throw the drive out straight away - it can take several tries before getting it to do it's thing and installing it will only induce rage until it actually works)

Array
    Status
    Colorado
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Ok we already put new battery cables the battery is some what brand new cause we took it out of our other car and we purchased the battery not to long ago. And its not a single click its more of rapid clicks like one after another.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The battery should have plenty of current to kick it over then. I'd be looking at the starter motor next. Take it out and bench test it as per the instructions I've posted up (sometimes the act of removing it and laying it on a bench is enough to jar debris from the brushes so you may get 1 or 2 good tests out of it). If you are still only getting the solenoid to actuate, your next step is disassembly and inspection/cleaning.

Array
    Status
    Colorado
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Ok thanks.