Thread: Don't know how to take off crank pulley, Help!

Array
    Status
    Moline, IL
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Don't know how to take off crank pulley, Help!

Hello guys, taking my truck apart to fix a burned valve, Ran into some some difficulty trying to take off crank pulley to access timing components. My pulley looks like this:

IMG_20190317_154438.jpg
    The bolts are too close to the washer? in the middle to get a socket on, and being inside the pulley, a wrench doesn't work either. This is a g63B in an 2wd '88.

And I did manage to get the head taken off; I popped off the access covers in the timing cover and loosened the tensioner. I would still like to get that pulley off though; the crank bolt wasn't very tight and I'd like to see what's going on in there.

pic of the truck lol:

IMG_20190317_175213.jpg
    Does anyone else's pulley look like this? What are some methods to turn those bolts? That center washer seems like it should come out but it doesnt.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If you've dropped the timing belt, the crank pulley should come forward with the crank timing sprocket attached. Give the face of the washer a tap or 2 with a hammer to see if that will help break it free from the crank. Try resting a long screwdriver against the crank bolt washer and giving it a couple of gentle taps from different sides with a hammer if it's not playing ball. It looks hell rusted on, hopefully the crank keyway hasn't been damaged due the crank pulley bolt being loose. Avoid hitting the actual pulley with force as much as possible or there's a risk of buckling it out of shape.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Moline, IL
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks geezer, I'll try it out.

Array
    Status
    Lawsonville, NC
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Thaler the 12mm bolts out and it’ll come off and use a puller to put the gear off and be easy. It should come off with your hand. I’d take a rubber mallet and tap around the balancer after I took the 12 mm bolts out.