Thread: What gear oil do I need for a 87 manual 5 speed (2 wheel drive)?

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B

What gear oil do I need for a 87 manual 5 speed (2 wheel drive)?

Truck is a 87, 2.0L (G63) w/5 speed, 2 wheel drive. I'm ASSUMING the transmission is the correct year and model for the truck. It's always shifted great but had a bit of a whine in every gear but 4th.. figured it had a bad bearing but it's been fine for the last year, I drive it about an hour a day around 50-55mph 5 days a week.

Well... maybe it was the 70mph draft up a long mountain today, or maybe it's had a slow leak somewhere and finally got to low and to hot.. I duno. But I know it started making a awful sound, kind of like a belt slipping on an alternator that's charging hard but more metallic and not as loud. Well, I had ear buds in since the radio doesn't work and that's been on my list of to do, that's probably never going to get done as there's a lot on that list, and that's pretty minor. Anyway... So I fist noticed something was up when I was approaching a stop sign, let off the gas, going about 50mph and went to down shift into 4th around 40mph and noticed what the... it's like it was 100% completely locked out,... ugh.. the hell... nope, like it's not even there.. okaaaay. Slow down some more, about 30mph, will it go in 3rd? Well, it felt like there was at least a notch there, but no it didn't want to go in 3rd either... crap, this isn't good. I come to the stop sign and it went in first, but man I had to shove it in there. It didn't grind or anything though.. So then I really had to pull/tug it into the gears as I accelerated at low throttle. Long story short, I end up praying about a stop I know is coming that's on a steep hill, I get there and well, God must have willed it because it was fine then the rest of the way home, but I could smell this pungent synthetic oil fumy smell, like you smell if you have ever been around a refinery.

Got home and got the load I had in the bed (riding lawn mower) unloaded, I guess Monday I'll be checking the gear oil level, expecting it to be really low... so what weight oil do I need? Given the age of the truck I expect it must be a GL 4? guessing 75 weight? But those are just guess's, I'd like to know what the manufacture specified for it.

Array
    Status
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...il-Information

Redline MT-85 or MT-90 is what most of us will recommend, read through that thread if you want to know why.

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    I may have some of that stuff around the shop since it's what I originally put in my Talon's transmission... (later switched to the Mitsubishi gear oil the factory use's in the Evo's trans and HOLY CRAP what an improvement) but yeah I think I may have some.

*glanced at thread* cool, so I was fairly on target with my guess of 75W GL4.

Array
    Status
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    It's all up to you, the Mitsubishi gear oil is probably better but I couldn't find it affordably near me.

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Oh that stuff is $$$$, no way I'm wasting it on this ol beater LOL. Especially after possibly damaging the transmission from low gear oil. That stuffs reserved for the Talon.