Thread: mkII L200/ max/monty/pajero brake upgrades???

Array
    Status
    Connectisuck, New England
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

6G72

mkII L200/ max/monty/pajero brake upgrades???

Anybody know of any braking upgrades for the mk2 mitey max or Montero's???

Fronts:
    Was looking at my 96 Tacoma 4x4 and its got nice 4 piston calipers on it. Haven't got the wheel off to measure the disk diameter
    but was thinking about fitting a pair of those onto my Monty Max, if there are no mitsu 6 lug upgrades to be had.

The 98-06 mk3 L200s have 2 piston calipers, but idk fittiment or if you need to use the mk3 spindles as well.
    I'm new to these mitsu's, don't have ANY knowledge of them to speak of really......

Rears:
    Would love some disks on the back of this bitch, I was going to see if I can mount front calipers on the rear axles w some
    custom brackets perhaps. Again LMK if anybody knows of some mitsu rear disk upgrade magic.
    I've no quarrels running front calipers on the back, I just hafta sort out a parking brake using the under dash pull lever.
    I could run a lever betwixt the seats, I've been thinking about ditching the bench for 2 buckets IDK.
    A line lock would be fine, I'm only gonna use it for parking & emergency's, not for racing/drifting & such.....

I could try in mount those Toyota 4-piston calipers on all 4 corners. That'd look sick....

LMK if anybody's got any info. Tanks

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    2nd Gen Monteros have same diameter, but thicker rotor and 2 piston upgrade. 3rd Gen Sports are larger all around. Get the caliper too.

For the rears I installed the 97-99 leaf sprung Montero Sport Rear. Its the same 9" rear you have, but its already got the rear discs installed.

Hard to see but there...

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

6G72
    g'nice. i shud be able to swap the disk assemblys from the newer axle onto mine???
    or is the axel itself so different i need the entire housing to make work???
    ill hafta find some pictures of the differences.

i still like the idea of the 4 pots, imma look into how hard it'll be to mount those up front at least
    ill post any positive findings...

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    You need the whole rear axle as the flanges are different.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

6G72
    Gotcha, thanks for the info.

I've been looking into the Tacoma front brakes a lil bit, I don't know hat height or anything yet.
    But the stock 1996 Tacoma has 11.5~inch rotors w 4piston calipers stock.
    However, you can take rotors & calipers from the 2001+ tundras and they bolt right on w only
    dust shield trimming. Tundras have 12.5inch rotors w 4 pots, and the rotor is 1/4 inch thicker too.

The only 2 reasons I'm digging the 4 pistons is, obviously the 2 more pistons, but more importantly,
    you don't need slider pins w them so theyll be quicker to make adapters for. Long as the tundra
    rotors hat isn't too deep to hit the spindle on the Max, and the inner diameter is the same,
    shud be a nice easy & affordable upgrade. Loaded calipers & coated rotors from rockauto
    for under $300 that's including not having cores to return. Ull need the yota banjo hoses too.
    Still under $300 that's not bad eh?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

6G72
    Here's the link to the Tacoma/tundra swap.
    http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/su...toyota-tacoma/

Soon as I can get a wheel off each of my trucks to take some measurements w hat height & hub dia I'll post if it looks promising.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It's a good idea to focus on all of the handling and stopping stuff before the right foot antics. Bigger is always better. $300 for a big brake upgrade off the shelf is a pretty sweet deal. About the only way to improve on that is custom braided teflon sleeved hoses and drilled and slotted rotors. Bound to be good deals on ebay for that stuff...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

6G72
    Yea that's what I was thinking also. Esp $300 is like a med quality 4 corner brake job. And for 12.5inch rotors & 4 pots
    That's really not much....

My main issue is the Toyota rotors fit in between the hub & wheel, like hub, rotor, wheel.
    the mitsus bolt the rotor behind the hub, then the wheel on the other side facing away from the truck,
    or rotor, hub, wheel...
    I've gotta see if the yota rotor will clear over the mitsu hub and where it sits on the spindle, or I might
    just attempt to use the entire Tacoma spindle on the Max, I haven't compared anything yet,
    need to pull the wheels off

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

6G72
    Its so funny I was excited about the tundra upgrade and mentioned it to my dad, forgetting.
    "That shits just braggin rights, that's all. I've never needed better brakes on anything...."
    He's also never driven anything w good upgraded brakes, and that's his overall retort to anything
    and everything he doesn't understand or agree with.... He's 64, drives, talks & acts like he's 19.
    Love him to death but he's such a prick, no relay between his brain & mouth at all. Ever.

I'll try in remember to post a pic of his toy "shorty". 78 vw transporter engine/trans/running gear
    in a beetle-cabbed/doored pickup w custom nose. Its neat. I'll post pics up in the build thread soon.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    He has obviously never driven with fire coming out of his eye sockets I decimated the stock brakes in my Mitsu project hatch I'd built ages ago. The rotors cracked and were hell warped after one enthusiastic run. Swapped them up to vented oversize rotors, ceramic pads and stainless steel braided hoses and was able to hit anchors hard all night on the crazy backroads around the hills without fear of fade.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

6G72
    He's just do good he hardly uses the brakes. And believe me you'd think he'd be all about better suspension
    and good brakes with how he drives. I honestly have no idea how he still has a drivers license, he hardly
    ever gets stopped. He's a menace on the roads.

Array
    Status
    USA, PNW
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    ChargerX3 has given you good advice.

The Montero Sports (MS) w/16" wheels have 315mm rotors and twin piston calipers that bolt right on and are far more brake than our trucks would ever need. The only issue is they require 16" rims to clear the calipers, although it's been mentioned that some 15" steel rims have been made to fit with a bit of grinding:

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...pgrade.167611/

If you're interested in rear discs, I've a complete rear end out of a '97 MS that will bolt right up as well as net you a far more robust high pinion 9" diff, which can be swapped for a factory air locker, as well as military wrapped leaf springs:

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...Diff-amp-4-636