Array
    Status
    North Richmond, New South Wales, Australia
    Vehicle

1979 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B

1979 D50 Sport Re-Build

G'Day fellas, I have decided it's time to start the Restoration of my yellow ute. Largely spurred on by the imminent head problem in the 4G54 and also by coming across a complete set of Magna EFI parts. So it begins...
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Oh you gonna start trouble for yourself . Guys in the US will donate blood to get Magna injection stuff and we literally crush them as junk on a regular basis. A friend of mine injected his 2.6 GK Sigma and did the balance shaft delete etc. It ran great.
    Last edited by geezer101; 03-06-2019 at 09:45 PM.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    cool ​---

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Very rad

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I don't have to kill anyone - I have one already modded for rwd that came off a friends conquest motor. It was thrown at the conquest, with shitty wiring that was twisted onto bare wires in the original harness. That motor, with the repaired harness and all the original conquest parts, is now running in his 81 Arrow pickup. It is now the Arrowcuda - coming soon. 5 different people tried to get it running with the magna setup, but no one checked to see it the fuel pump was good - it was dead, and the wiring was so bad that removing all the parts for the magna swap took 15 to 20 minutes.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ^nobody likes a braggart lol. It was luck in your friends favour that landed that set up. Too many guys either not checking the basics or doing a ham fisted job of setting it up. We shall wait patiently to see 2.6 litres of injected goodness...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    not bragging, just lucky I guess. I am watching what he is doing to see if I want to use it on a NA 2.6, or on the conquest short block I have that was in a flood after being rebuilt...
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1979 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    I’ve just managed to get my hands on a genuine Mitsubishi ‘brand new in the box’ head. A lucky find! Will be starting the efi mock up in the car soon to get all the mods done before the engine work starts. I’m also going drive-by-wire throttle out of a Mitsubishi 380. My aim is to bring just the right amount of modern tech into a unique classic. And hopefully chase down around 200 horses. ����

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    EFI will dig up 10-15 kW of extra power but with the benefits of improved fuel economy and torque. Some good quality headers and a 2.25/2.5" exhaust system will add to the numbers. Change the pistons to bump the compression ratios and use a tested cam profile for making more horses (found this helpful bit of info - not a definitive guide but has some insight on a performance build) You'll have power to weight ratios in your favour. Ditching anything that impedes throttle response will get it off the line faster and improve gear shifts (balance shafts and the clutch fan are the main culprits on that list)

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1979 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    Yep, so balance shafts, fully balanced bottom end, going away from hydraulic lifters, higher comp, double valve springs, cam & thermo fan are all on the hit list. Already have good tuned headers, so will have a nice 2 1/2” system built. The cam is about the only ? Have no idea what will work best. The engine builder I’m going with has a wealth of knowledge so hopefully he can suggest something good. Tipping I’ll build it and run it in on a basic tune & then start working on performance. Looking forward to the challenge.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1979 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks for the link! Good info there, I think I’ll have a chat with them.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1979 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    Well, it’s a start. I need to trim some material off the web of the AC bracket let the manifold pull right in. And I have figured out that the bottom studs are in totally different spots on the Magna head. Incidentally, the guy I bought the EFI gear from is currently selling 2 complete Magna EFI narrow block engines.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    One of the added bonuses of the EFI is the long intake runners - extra torque. And now you have to send it off for surgery. Hopefully whoever does the cut and shut on the plenum will make it look factory smooth (that is unless you got the skills and are doing this yourself) Even though the manifold looks huge, it still tucks under the bonnet...

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    you must have got an early 2.6 head - they have 2 bolts by the thermostat housing, the 81 up heads have 2 bolt by the stat.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1979 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    It’s a 1979 or maybe 80 engine. The Magna head that I will most likely use doesn’t have the bottom thermostat stud- goes with the manifold so all good. I’m going to make up a custom top thermostat housing to bring the hose through the middle of the intake manifold back to the radiator. I’ll take out the top temp sender (where the thermostat used to be on the old manifold) when filling with coolant to avoid an airlock in the head. Also bring the hose from that galley (morning that used to go to the throttle body) back to the engine side of the thermostat housing to still create flow through that gallery so I get proper temp readings. Should hopefully all be very tidy looking when finished.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1979 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    I’ll be doing the fiddly cutting in and tacking together of the intake. Will have someone else weld it all up. I’m going about it a bit differently to most also, but trust me, the end result will look good. I’m very much about things looking good as well as working.