Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Fuel filter location, model specific

It seems that there are variations on the exact location of the fuel filter between different models and configurations, based on a good amount of research online (this forum included), the Haynes manual, and first-hand accounts from other owners.

I know that the '86 model, and also the '88 macro cab, have the filter mounted near the fuel tank, on the outside of the frame, and some later model years even have it mounted in the engine compartment.

My truck is an '87, A/T, regular cab, short bed, 4x4, and the filter is not in any of the locations mentioned above.

I' pretty sure I found the location of the filter on my truck: right next to, and slightly above, the fuel tank, on the inside of the frame, but I can't figure out how to reach it without also dropping the tank. This is what it looks like from below, and this is the only angle from where you can see it or get anywhere near it. You can't reach it through the side and over the frame, believe me, I tried.
    InkedIMG_8144_LI.jpg

Can anyone with an '87, A/T, regular cab, short bed, 4x4 truck (not sure which of these factors dictates where the filter goes, so I'm throwing them all in) confirm if this is correct? And if so, is dropping the tank the only way to get to it?

Hoping that I'm wrong...

Thanks
    Last edited by MrPaco; 03-05-2019 at 04:35 AM.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    That can't be right. Any manufacturer wouldn't mount a serviceable replacement part like a fuel filter wedged somewhere that it can't be removed. It should be within proximity of the mechanical fuel pump in the engine bay. There are one way check valves for the tank breathers on the fuel tank but they are small.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I agree with your assessment, it makes no sense for it to be there, but I'm fairly certain that this is the filter. The location make it hard to take a picture of it, but when shining a flashlight to it I can see the two hoses coming off the side. Looks just like the filter from other trucks I've seen in pictures. I'll see if I can take some better photos today.
    I'm hoping other with the same truck configuration can chime in so that we can compare apples to apples.
    Thanks
    Last edited by MrPaco; 03-05-2019 at 04:49 AM.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    STOP..! (Stop is good progress, especially if you don't know for sure how to break it..!) GET HELP..!

My truck a 1986 might be different (?) but I changed the fuel filter a couple months ago... With the truck on a lift, from the driver's side, I could look up & see it near the front left corner of the fuel tank; just above the frame I think... There is a two prong mount of rounded metal strips to hold the filter in place... Look for that fuel filter mount (maybe your fuel filter is missing..?) Never know what a P.O. might have done...

There are one or two other fuel filter looking thingy gizmos in the fuel system but they are vent n' emissions things on/near/above the fuel tank...

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    FWIW, my '87 (RWD M/T longbed) also has it where xboxrox described, seems unlikely they'd put it elsewhere depending on build spec for the same model year.

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thank you for the input.

So first of all, I think I figured out a way how to access the filter in order to change it. It will involve lifting the truck, removing the driver's side back wheel and the plastic wheel well liner, moving some hoses out of the way, and squeezing my hand through a small opening in between some rusty metal parts. Fun.

But, I do believe that different truck configurations have the filter in different locations, as weird as that sounds.
    Like I mentioned before, the Haynes manual makes some vague reference to this without providing details, also the shop manual has slightly different fuel line diagrams for the standard cab and the extended cab and long body versions.

Then there's this. These two photos show the same A-pillar that connects the frame to the bed at the front end of the bed on the driver's side, the first one is on my friend's '88 extended cab, and the second one is on my '87 regular cab:

'88 extended cab- filter is on the left side of the A-pillar

Fuel Filter.jpg

'87 regular cab- the filter is on the back side of the A-pillar (you can't see it on this photo, but it is behind where the yellow arrow is, trust me).

InkedIMG_8169_LI.jpg

And I'm positive it's the fuel filter. Looks exactly the same as the '88, same shape, same two hoses coming out of it, and same clip attaching it to the A-pillar. It's just REALLY difficult to reach as there are many things in the way that don't move (fuel tank, the frame, other metal supports).
    No idea why they had to do this differently between almost identical trucks, but it looks like they did. The only thing I can think of is that there appears to be less room between the A-pillar and the cab on the second photo (reg cab) than on the first photo (ext cab), which could explain why they had to find a different spot for the filter. I believe the extended cab is indented at the bottom, which would explain why there's more room

I'm hoping that someone with the same configuration as mine (2nd gen, reg cab, short bed) can confirm this. The only other explanation would be that a PO relocated the filter to that location, which would be very strange.

I guess is not that important, since I figured how to remove the fuel filter, but it is still an interesting question (that we'll probably never know the answer to )
    Last edited by MrPaco; 03-06-2019 at 03:52 PM.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Please allow me to ask a dumb question - is there a removeable panel in the truck bed near this? My D50 has several panels that are bolted in place. I ask this just in case you hadn't thought of it (I'm sure you have)...sometimes staring at the problem area disallows a broader perspective.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by royster View Post
    Please allow me to ask a dumb question - is there a removeable panel in the truck bed near this? My D50 has several panels that are bolted in place. I ask this just in case you hadn't thought of it (I'm sure you have)...sometimes staring at the problem area disallows a broader perspective.
    Not a dumb question, interesting actually. I don't think there's a panel, but to be honest, I don't know for sure. I haven't gotten around to removing the bedliner yet, so it's possible that there might a panel on the bed that I haven't seen. I'll take a look and report back.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Insert facepalm here. Well Mitsubishi, you did a top notch job of making sure it didn't get hammered from stones and debris, but that is in a really crap place to reach.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Access Panel Info

fixya says:
    1988 Dodge Ram 50 fuel filter is located adjacent to fuel tank. More specifically, the fuel filter is directly above frame rail at front end of fuel tank. The fuel filter and retaining clip can be seen between the two bed mounts

answers.com says:
    Where is the fuel filter located on a 1987 Dodge Ram 50?
    The fuel filter is located at the front left corner of the fuel tank. its easy to get to i just removed the access panel held on by 10mm bolts, in the drivers side rear wheel well and removed the 2 12mm bolts on the bed mount that holds the fuel filter bracket then i just snaked it past the filler neck and removed the 2 lines on it and put it back together its really easy took about 5 min
    Last edited by xboxrox; 03-07-2019 at 01:33 AM.

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post

answers.com says:
    Where is the fuel filter located on a 1987 Dodge Ram 50?
    The fuel filter is located at the front left corner of the fuel tank. its easy to get to i just removed the access panel held on by 10mm bolts, in the drivers side rear wheel well and removed the 2 12mm bolts on the bed mount that holds the fuel filter bracket then i just snaked it past the filler neck and removed the 2 lines on it and put it back together its really easy took about 5 min
    ^^This is generally where mine is located, but this description makes it sound way easier than what I think it will be. Here's a photo that shows the filter and where it attaches the A-pillar, and flanked by the tank on the right and the filler tube on top. This photo makes it look like it would be easy to reach, but keep in mind that that the phone was wedged between the side of the bed and the frame, so it's not like there's a clean shot at it. Unless I can figure out how to bend my forearm 90 degrees, it will take some contorioning to fish this thing out.

IMG_8192.jpg

But anyway, I'm still interested in confirming if this location is a quirk specific to my truck's configuration. So far, from what I've heard from you guys I know that the following trucks have the filter on the outside of the frame:

xboxrox: '86 Power Ram 50
    SubGothius: ’87 Ram 50 Long bed
    FSM88: '88 Power Ram 50 Extended Cab

* geezer101, is your filter in the engine compartment in your '86 truck? That would be interesting, since that's different from xboxrox's. Is it possible tha that the one in the engine compartment was added later, and the original is still next to the tank. I ask because my truck also has a second filter that was added near the carburetor, which makes sense for convenience, but I still want to change the one by the tank, since it's the original (it has some undercoating splash) and if that gets clogged up, the second filter won't be getting any fuel to clean.

My theory is that for the 2nd generation trucks (at least the early years) there are two locations: in front of the tank on the outside of the frame, and in front of the tank on the inside of the frame. The long beds and extend cabs have it on the outside, and the regular cab with short bed have it on the inside. The reason for this is the amount of space between the A-pillar and the cab, which in the long bed and the extend cabs, is roomier.

Would be great to hear from other 2nd gen owners with short bed + regular cab to confirm. Maybe WarStyker13 can chime in, I believe he has this configuration. Also, curious about the '90s trucks.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I have a Gen 1 ('85) that has been tampered with - a lot... And what wasn't butchered was neglected so I am probably not the most reliable source to refer to by experience. I know this production period Mitsubishi passenger vehicles all had the fuel filters in the engine bay.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Mines on the bed mount next to the fuel tank. Looks like a factory Bracket

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks, tortron. I'm thinking that 1st Gen trucks had the filters in the same location as the 2nd Gen with long bed or extended cabs, so far confirmed on '81 and '86.
    Geezer, I'm curious about your truck. I see what you mean about it being tinkered with a lot through the years, so probably not the best point of reference from an accuracy point of view. Have you ever looked down there by the tank to confirm that there is no filter there? Is it at all possible that you have 2?

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Take your truck to Midas Muffler, they will be happy to change the fuel filter, ya think..?
    Last edited by xboxrox; 03-07-2019 at 04:16 PM.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Mine is inside the frame, under the driver door. Keep in mind, mine is fuel injected and the filter configuration is very different.

For where yours' is located, it makes sense that there must be an access panel, either in the wheel well as earlier suggested, or a plate inside the bed itself. If you have your replacement filter in hand, you can confirm this location. Also, MrPaco, a GOOD idea to replace the rubber fuel lines while you're at it.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hello MrPaco n' Guys

Bummer about your filter location... However, what if you remove it completely or mount it like a long bed truck... Could also install a (metal?) fuel filter under the hood closer to the carb..? At least then you won't have a filter in a b_tch location...

I am curious MrPaco, is there an access panel somewhere in that left rear wheel well on your truck..? Not sure if my 86 has an access panel; doubt it, not really needed & not mentioned in the service manual... The 86 Chrysler service manual shows another in tank fuel filter, perhaps the mesh on it could be replaced or deleted on the little wire framed looking thing... Again, I think if I ever had to mess with an in tank filter; I would just delete it & install a 2nd filter under the hood... On 2nd thought maybe not if NAPA has replacement filters; why reinvent the wheel... Seems the 86 fuel filter differs from the 87 with the In & Out barb fitting orientation (87 two horizontal tubes & 86 one horizontal & one vertical)

fuel system rubber tubing is different than vacuum tubing, no..? On my fuel filter one barb fitting still had the original Mitsu spring clamp & the other barb fitting had a small stainless steel screwdriver/nut driver adjustable clamp... I used needle nose vise grip pliers to pinch off the fuel supply tube, worked good... It was still a cramped hands *%^$$@* job though...

Photos are from 1986 Chrysler Service Manual
    Fuel 1.jpgFuel 2.jpgFuel 3.jpg
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ha ha, this has been fun. Thanks to all for playing!
    I know this has been a silly pursuit, but it's been very institucional for me, and hopefully it can help others in the future who are looking for the same answers.

Royster, thanks for the tip. I will keep it in mind when I actually get around to changing the filter (in warmer weather), and will check all hoses.

xboxrox, there is not an access panel per se in the wheel well, but the liner comes off in pieces, so removing the lower front portion will give me good access to where I need to go. And thanks for posting the '86 service manual diagrams, I'm sure they will be helpful to others with a 1st gen trucks.

I'll report back once I actually go ahead and change the filter, and will let you know if it was as hard as I'm thinking it will be, or not...

I still want to know the filter location on any other 2nd gen, carburated, short bed, regular cab trucks, to prove my theory. So let me know if any of you can take a look...

AND, I also would like to find if geezer has an old original filter next to the tank that he didn't know was there...

Thank you all

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Here's a carbed 2nd gen frame.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    My 1986 4X4 (shows Fuel Filter location)

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ah, interesting. That seems like a better place than what they did next. Well protected by both pillars, and within easy reach.

So far I think that these are the fuel filter locations we know of, based on reports from the field:

1st Gen- Next to fuel tank, between the two A-pillars holding up the bed
    2nd Gen, Carburated, Regular Cab, Short bed- Next to fuel tank, inside the frame, behind the front A-pillar holding up the bed
    2nd Gen, Carburated, Extended Cab and/or Long bed- Next to fuel tank, outside the frame, between the front A-pillar and the cab
    2nd Gen, Fuel Injected- Under driver's door, inside the frame

If anyone has a different location on their truck (original), please report back so that we can update the list for future generations

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks for making the list MrPaco, it helps our community...I just noticed in the photo I posted that the fuel filter's [outlet] rubber fuel line to the engine is marked with: "Made in U.S.A." If these old trucks could talk then we could find out if the Japanese auto workers at Mitsubishi or the US Navy truck owners or maintenance mechanics in America put that hose in there..?
    Last edited by xboxrox; 03-08-2019 at 03:32 PM. Reason: grammar

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Compared to your other hoses, that one looks newer, so I'm gonna guess it has been replaced? (also the expandable hose clamps look out of place).

Your frame is spotless, you don't even have surface rust! Has your truck always been on the island? What kind of deicing salts do they use there?! oh, never mind...

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ha Ha -- they just use sand over here n' so far it's been doing a good job of keeping the snow off my toes

Your reasoning of the hose makes good sense n' probably right... The photo was taken before the truck got shipped to Hawaii... This truck was a one owner until I got it at a Govt Liquidation auction... Built in Nagoya, shipped to Portland then remained at Naval Air Weapons Station, China Lake, California... It was used by NavFac for building maintenance in the California desert... A small history of the truck in photos here: http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/album.php?u=3998

The truck is getting rusty on the frame n' parts under now; the island is salty but I have a decent shaded parking spot... We live close to the beach on windward Oahu n' the truck was parked at the beach during a salt fog from high winds at least once... The inner fender under the brake master cylinder needs fixing; complete paint removal n' now rust from a previously leaking BMC...

Small trucks are still popular here (think of surfboards on woody wagons & old VW Buses at the beach) some get fixed neat; but most are all Toyota so this stock Dodge has a cool factor being rare... There are a ton of Jeep Wranglers on the road, boring me to death...

There is one new vehicle that does interest me & if sold in USA it would be high on my list to replace the Dodge if it ever ends life... This non Jeep: https://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-...-php-975k.html

Jimny test drive first impressions: https://www.autoindustriya.com/featu...ick-drive.html

I better start doing something for my truck or the rust will kill it... I really want to try the oven cleaner trick that geezer talks about... CYA
    Last edited by xboxrox; 03-09-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Your have nice little truck there, and a nice story to go with it.

Ha! I don't know why, but even before clicking that link I knew exactly what it was going to be, and I approve!
    You could always get an older one, until they decide to bring them back... Here's one in California with decent miles (if you believe that clock hasn't already turned once...) that looks pretty good, actually looks like a pickup
    https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Type=spotlight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast