Thread: Fuel filter location, model specific

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Cute the Samurai -- my oldest sister & brother-in-law might have one of these in their yard in California... I remember they could not get it to pass smog n' maybe high idle condition... Sun baked by now... They should try selling it...

Array
    Status
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    My 87 is a standard can, short bed with a manual trans and the fuel filter is in the same place as Mr. Paco's. Right above the front of the fuel tank.

IMG_20190309_215648223.jpg

There's no filter there right now, because the old one was clogged and full of water. The fuel tank was already out of the truck when I bought it, and I've tried reaching up there from underneath the truck. If I go from the left, with my left arm I can just barely get to the bracket that holds the filter, but whether I could get the stock filter back into that clamp without dropping the tank...

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    WarStryker, can you see if the left rear wheel well has an access plate or not to do the fuel filter change..? The Japanese are rather perfectionists and don't usually design so than routine maintenance is basically impossible to perform...

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by WarStryker13 View Post
    My 87 is a standard can, short bed with a manual trans and the fuel filter is in the same place as Mr. Paco's. Right above the front of the fuel tank.
    Thank you, Stryker.
    I think this confirms my theory that Mitsubishi had to find an alternative location for the filter on the 2nd gen trucks with standard cab + short bed, because it didn't fit in the location used for roomier configurations. Unfortunately for us, that new location turned out to be a real PITA.

Once it gets warmer, and I get around to go exploring through the back wheel well to reach the filter and changed it, I'll take some pictures of the procedure/route, and post it as an instructional guide. I'm sure there will be another clueless owner of a 2G/RC/SB truck in the future looking for this filter and how to reach it, hopefully the will find the post.

Geezer, I'm curious if you ever took a look under your truck to see if the original filter was still there next to the tank. I know you have a filter in the engine compartment, but it is possible someone just added a second one and didn't bother with the hard to reach original. That's what they did in my truck, there's the original, untouched, and an easy to reach second one, right by the carburetor.

Thank you all for your contributions to this "investigation"

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    1st gen trucks are easy to get to compared to 2nd gen. Geronimo has an aftermarket Fram setup that unscrews from the bottom and drops out.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Wild West, ID
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    '83 diesel model here. Drivers side on the pillar.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Wild West, ID
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Atamis View Post
    '83 diesel model here. Drivers side on the pillar.
    Alright i actually lied. I pulled it so i could replace the "filter". Its actually a "Valve, Fuel Tank Vapor Hose 2-way" Part number MB009102.
    Also my owners manual finally arrived. Seems the fuel filter on the diesels is the hand primer assembly.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I was pretty sure it wasn't a fuel filter. It looks identical to the breather check valves on regular gas engined trucks.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Santa Paula, CA
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Any luck with accessing the fuel filter? I recently bought an '88 MM, 2WD with the standard cab and 6ft bed. I can see the fuel filter in the same location that MrPaco has been describing. If I really work at it, I can fit my arm in there to reach it, but actually removing the fuel lines from the filter, and getting it out of the mounting clip would be a minor miracle. Some sort of access panel would be great...

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    my 89 long bed 2wd automatic had one mounted on the drivers side inner fender. I have a small inline filter now between my carter fuel pump and the carb. I was looking at my fuel lines along the frame the other week as they are getting pretty crusty and are ready for replacement. I was surprised to see a second fuel filter up near the tank like your photo. Interestingly, I had replaced the one on the inner fender long before going to the electric fuel pump. I remember seeing a whole bunch of filters on rock auto that looked like that one, and one of the fender mounted which is what I purchased. So my truck has two filters

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by HHmightymax88 View Post
    Any luck with accessing the fuel filter? I recently bought an '88 MM, 2WD with the standard cab and 6ft bed. I can see the fuel filter in the same location that MrPaco has been describing. If I really work at it, I can fit my arm in there to reach it, but actually removing the fuel lines from the filter, and getting it out of the mounting clip would be a minor miracle. Some sort of access panel would be great...
    Hello, and welcome.
    As you can see from this thread, the particular configuration that you have (2nd gen, carbureted, reg cab, short bed) has the filter in a very hard to access place. Most likely because the space where it goes on macro cabs and long beds is too tight on the regular shorts.
    I figured out a way to access the filter, it's still pretty tight, but doable. You have to lift the truck and remove a panel in the rear wheel well, and then you get a semi straight shot to the filter location. It's still tight, but at least you don't need to bend your arm in unnatural ways.

Lift the driver's side from the frame (not the rear axle, you want to the wheel and the well to go on opposite directions. I actually had the truck lifted from the front when I did this and it worked fine.

Then take off this panel by removing the 10mm bolts
    InkedIMG_8768_LI.jpg

You will have a straight shot to the filter from there
    InkedIMG_8780_LI.jpgIMG_8772.jpg

Like I said, still tight, but you can get to it. First get your hand on the filter, unclip it from the mounting clip, and gently pull it out to towards you, there's enough slack on the hoses to do this.
    I didn't actually change the filter when I did this, didn't have a replacement on hand, just wanted to see if I could get to it. Unclipping the hoses and replacing the filter will be hard to do one-handed, and to get both hands in there you will probably need to remove the wheel to give you more room to work.

Let us know how it goes once you attempt this. And you might want to have some extra nuts and bolts on hand for that panel, I broke two of them trying to get them out. Luckily they didn't really create much trouble, the panel still came off and I was able to drill out the remaining stems and replace with new ones like these
    IMG_8781.jpg

Good luck with it.

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Coming to this post in 2022. My 88' Mighty Max appears to have a fuel filter located above the tank (inside the frame) like the photo above. What was the best method for reaching it? I have a few small access panels in the wall of the bed that I could look at removing (screws currently stripped) and a panel in the wheel well.

Thanks for putting all of this info together, and thanks for your advice.

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob View Post
    Coming to this post in 2022. My 88' Mighty Max appears to have a fuel filter located above the tank (inside the frame) like the photo above. What was the best method for reaching it? I have a few small access panels in the wall of the bed that I could look at removing (screws currently stripped) and a panel in the wheel well.

Thanks for putting all of this info together, and thanks for your advice.
    I figured it out. Was able to squeeze my hand in behind the frame to lift it out of the factory mount. Then, reaching in from the wheel well (had to remove the panel), I was able to snake it out like mentioned above and change it out. This method worked well and only took a few minutes once I figured out how to pull it out of there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12