Array
    Status
    Texas
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T

issue with new glow plugs-86 Ranger Diesel

I removed the old glow plugs(nothing wrong with them) to clean the tips and dropped one and broke it off, so I just threw in a new set I had for backups. The part number on the new plugs is GJ55MI and can be found here. http://www.dieselglowplug.com/gj55mi...dai-p-362.html

The problem is that the new plugs are only getting power for a split second from the glow plug module, and of course that's not long enough for the glow plugs to heat up. I can jump the glow plug relay for 5 or so seconds and turn the key and the motor fires right up and runs fine. Any ideas on why these new glow plugs are causing this issue with the glow plug module?

I've since installed the old glow plugs including the 1 with the broken tip and everything is back to operating as it should.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    You cant replace the 6v glow plugs with 12v plugs and expect the factory harness to work correctly

Array
    Status
    Lawsonville, NC
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    You can wire a starter relay off a lawnmower and make it work. image.jpg

Array
    Status
    Texas
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I'm pretty sure they say 12v on the side of the old glow plugs. They all have remnants of green paint on the tops. Thanks for the info and the diagram. Nice to know if the glow plug module fails and I have to bypass it.