Array
    Status
    Tustin, CA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T

Tires

I am going to post this on the diesel forum. It seems most of the gas truck guys (except the 4x4 guys) are lowering their trucks. I may be strange but I use mine for a truck. I don't want 40 or 50 series tires. What I would really like would be some 6.50x14 8plys. But, it seems those are few and far between. The only 14" truck tires I have been able to find are some Chinese tires that have bad reviews.
    To that end I have acquired both 15 and 16 inch rims. I am currently running some 215-65-16s on the truck. They hit the frame on the inside. I have tried some 205-75-15 and they rub on the fenders when turning. No real reason for trying these sizes they were on the rims when I got them.
    I would like to keep the truck as high as possible. I don't go 4x4ing in the truck but I do go down some fire service roads. Around here these have a tendency to have good size rocks on them. That oil filter sticking down out the bottom worries me. What have you folks found works on your rigs?

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Very surprised your truck is rubbing with those tyres. I have 215 70 15s on my 2wd 1st gen. But it is slightly higher than stock using L300 springs front and rear

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I have retread 14" tires from tirerecappers.com I run a super swamper tread in the winter and a highway tread in the summer. at about $80 a piece for the swampers and 50 for the highway treads they are a good deal. All of their 14" tires are on goodyear c range carcasses. The only 14" c range tires I could find were an outrageous price or chinese. They also ship for free.
    I had one that went flat shortly after getting it. It was leaking from the sidewall. I called them up and they told me they had had a few carcasses that came in that were deflated by puncturing the sidewall with an icepick. The rubber overlay sealed it up for the first few hundred miles before it started to slowly leak. They sent me another that day and I probably have 30K miles on the two sets now with no other problems.
    There are two 14 swampers. One of them is bias ply and intended for offroad use.
    I've towed about 3k pounds with my truck, and they don't squirm around at all
    The highway treads could stand to be shaved, I don't think they are perfectly round. But the swampers run smooth as glass at 75mph with no balance. They are noisy tho!

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I just checked and they also have all terains that look like a goodyear wrangler a/t for $58 a piece in 195/75/14

Array
    Status
    Tustin, CA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    Very surprised your truck is rubbing with those tyres. I have 215 70 15s on my 2wd 1st gen. But it is slightly higher than stock using L300 springs front and rear
    Well this answers a question. With the 15" rims I only get a rub on hard turns. I check with Americas tire website and they show 215-70-15 having a diameter of 27". When I check the 75 series the diameter is 28". So It appears that I need a tire with a diameter less than 27". I am going to check out tirecappers. I have a mental problem because besides the Ram 50 I have a Datsun 620...do I need an intervention?

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    You can turn the steering stops out a little if it's only rubbing on hard turns.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    don't forget the re in recappers .
    Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    Well this answers a question. With the 15" rims I only get a rub on hard turns. I check with Americas tire website and they show 215-70-15 having a diameter of 27". When I check the 75 series the diameter is 28". So It appears that I need a tire with a diameter less than 27". I am going to check out tirecappers. I have a mental problem because besides the Ram 50 I have a Datsun 620...do I need an intervention?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    There is a mathematical formulae to determine whether or not you have 'too many' vehicles. I need to find it and post it up (no, really. It's a legit thing...)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function