Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Bedliner

For my the next chapter in my series of dumb/basic questions, I'd like t get your thoughts on the subject of bedliner.s

My truck came with one of them, and I'm trying to decide which way to go with it: keep it on but make it better, or take it off.
    The liner is not attached in any way (except for the tailgate part, which is held in place by 3 screws), because of it being loose, it rubs against the paint finish and there's some raw spots here and there. The PO put down some duck tape where the edges of the bedliner meet the top of the walls of the bed. I guess this kept the rubbing to a minimum, but some spot still got rubbed. Now that duck tape has completely disintegrated and all that's left is the dried glue residue and the fibers of the tape. I plan on going to town on that once the weather warms up a bit.

So I have few questions for you all, if you don't mind:

1. What's the best way to get rid of the glue residue and fibers? Goo-gone? WD-40? anything else?

2. Should I keep the bedliner on or not?

To be honest, I wont do a lot of hauling in this thing, mainly trips to the dump, carry the odd oversized object from point A to point B, maybe help a friend move some stuff, but it's not like this a work truck. So if I'm not going to put a lot of wear and tear on the bed, does it even make sense to keep it on?
    I have a shed where I can keep it in case I ever need to put it back on before a really messy haul...

3. If I keep it on, what's the best way to attach it so it doesn't damage the paint further? Should I coat the bed with some kind of grease or silicone before putting the liner back on? Should I screw it to bed? If so, where is the best spot, on the sides of the top of the bed walls? Will this damage the body?

Thanks for any suggestions

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Hey, MrPaco ~ Paint thinner should work on the duct tape stuff.

As for the liner...I'd vote to take it off and see what the bed looks like. If you can live with that, then leave the liner off.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I love Raptor liner. A kit on Amazon runs about 100 bucks. Some come with a gun.
    It's easy and looks good. I'm going to be spraying some white on the roof of my trailer once I get it.
    I will probably make a video of the process since it will be placed on aluminum.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Paint thinner, got it. Thanks, Roy

Yeah, I'm leaning towards leaving it off and putting a little work on the bed. It's not that bad, but there are a few spots of surface rust, from the liner rubbing on the bed. I like the clean look of not having the liner, and I can always just throw it back on if I ever need to haul a load of cinder blocks...

I am curious about the Raptor though, that might be an application for the future. looking forward to seeing your video, camoit.

That was easy! Thanks, fellas

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    My bed is coated in rhino liner. I have totally abused it since I've owned the truck with loads of firewood, mulch, soil, trash, engines, engine oil, welding spatter. It's amazing how well it stands up
    Mines been on there a long time I think so there's a few spots missing on some corners. But it must have been there 10 years