Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Repurposing glove compartment lock

I have a lock on the glove compartment that works with the ignition key (it's a short cylinder and the key only goes in about 3/4" and then turns).
    The fuel cap does not have lock, and I'd like to add one. Ideally it would work with the ignition key so I need just one key to work everything. I
    s it possible to take the cylinder form the glove compartment, and put it into a lockable fuel cap? I imagine I would need to get a fuel cap with a lock, then remove that cylinder and replace it with the one I want use.
    Is this possible? Are these small cylinder somewhat universal in size? Can I take the fuel cap apart to change the cylinder, or are they a sealed?

Thanks

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    My locking cap is keyed to my ign key. I took one off another 1st gen and took the barrel apart and rekeyed it to my key too. I think you could just buy a locking cap that takes the same style of key our trucks use and modify the tumblers to match

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    My locking cap is keyed to my ign key. I took one off another 1st gen and took the barrel apart and rekeyed it to my key too. I think you could just buy a locking cap that takes the same style of key our trucks use and modify the tumblers to match
    On your locking cap, does the key go all the way in?

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Yup goes all the wayIMG_20190206_141508.jpg

Or get a spare door lock and make one of these
    IMG_20190206_141417.jpg

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    That's roughly the same depth the key goes in the ign switch

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    Yup goes all the wayIMG_20190206_141508.jpg

Or get a spare door lock and make one of these
    IMG_20190206_141417.jpg
    I like that second option. So did you get a generic door lock and have it matched to the key? And then, just drilled a hole on the door?

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    I didn't add that one. But here's some photos, I have some replacement locks for this truck, the body is a little shorter. But it's the same deal.

Possibly 2nd gen locks are longer than 1st?
    IMG_20190206_170607.jpg

IMG_20190206_170613.jpg

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Thats a lot of key locks. lol. Would think just the door would be sufficient.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I got NO gas cap lock, no gas door lock, no glove box lock...

Array
    Status
    Fernley, NV 89408
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    the glove box lock is plastic
    2nd gen's did not have locks that i know of
    i have never seen any

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Glove box locks were there for some 2nd gen trucks but they are rare. looking in my parts catalog i don't see any locking fuel caps for the US market so it must just be overseas. looking at that picture tortron posted i would say that the fuel door lock is unique to these trucks since the one on my Dodge Conquest is shorter. if someone wanted to have a locking gas tank i would think the easiest way would be to import a factory gas cap and re key it to work with the stock key. the lock cylinder holes aren't completely round they have locking notches stamped into them and if you went with a locking door it would need to either be imported and repainted or using cutting a hole in the original door and re painting the edges to prevent rust. i must say that factory locking gas cap looks solid. most aftermarket locking ones are plastic and are easily defeated and are just useless

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    My 2nd gen has the lock on the glovebox. It's a short cylinder, works with the same key, but the key only goes in halfway.

IMG_8434.jpg

I spoke to a locksmith about getting a cap with a lock, or a cylinder for the door, and having it rekeyed so it would work with the same key. He said he could do it if he had the rekeying kit for older mitsubishis, but since they are not common it was not worth it to him to buy the kit for a couple hundred bucks and never use it. He has the kits for Ford, GM and Toyota because those are common. Maybe he's full of it, but that what he told me...
    I'll look into that oversees cap, and find another locksmith!

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaco View Post
    My 2nd gen has the lock on the glovebox. It's a short cylinder, works with the same key, but the key only goes in halfway.

IMG_8434.jpg

I spoke to a locksmith about getting a cap with a lock, or a cylinder for the door, and having it rekeyed so it would work with the same key. He said he could do it if he had the rekeying kit for older mitsubishis, but since they are not common it was not worth it to him to buy the kit for a couple hundred bucks and never use it. He has the kits for Ford, GM and Toyota because those are common. Maybe he's full of it, but that what he told me...
    You are lucky. Guarantee your truck has all the options in it as well then. Have cruise control?

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargerx3 View Post
    You are lucky. Guarantee your truck has all the options in it as well then. Have cruise control?
    I think it has everything that was available, except A/C... (thinking about fixing that), and no cruise control. I don't think it was an option in '87, maybe later?

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    ive seen one or two with cruise control, it was a dealer accessory, my parts catalog shows it came from mopar

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    this truck, the first one on the list from viking auto in redding CA has it (well had it, i told them i wanted the seat out of it but they crushed it, assholes!!!) but the pictures are still posted. you can see a little black bowling ball looking thing on the passenger inner fender, thats the vacuum tank for it and the little controller is near the dash dimmer knob.

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    oops link doesn't work unfortunately

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    I think it has everything that was available, except A/C... (thinking about fixing that), and no cruise control. I don't think it was an option in '87, maybe later?
    Ive only ever seen 1 or 2 with cruise. I think they were 4x4 88's. Surprised yours doesnt have AC. All of my V6 4x4's have it.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Stant makes a locking gas cap for these trucks, but won't take the factory truck key
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    az
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

IMG_8434.jpg

You could go to the Junkyard and pick yourself up about 5 or 6 key lock cylinders out of other Mitsu cars to use as parts to re-key with. That is what I have done on a couple of occasions (did that with my talon and my truck). You may only use a couple of parts out of each one but it is always nice to have spare parts. You can also take a file to the tumblers that are "close" if they stick up a little.