Array
    Status
    Choctaw, Oklahoma
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Ram50 3.5 swap!

Ok I have a question or two for you guys. I have an 1988 ram50 4x4. I just bought a 2001 montero 4x4 with the 3.5l engine. It was wrecked so I got it really cheap. Actually drove it around for awhile in the neighborhood to check everything. Now to my question, I am in the process of pulling every single wire,hose,ect. out of it. Is there any part I will not need? Thanks

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I'd use the lot. The tricky part may be getting all the lights connected up and working as the Monty layout shouldn't bee too different from the Ram, but they may need tweaking to reach the rear of the bed. Working with a harness that's a decade newer will be nice.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Choctaw, Oklahoma
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Perfect,that's what I had been doing is pulling everything in sight. Do you know if I will need to bypass the anti theft system or not? Thanks for the reply anyhow. Was looking at the 4d56,but found this an couldn't resist it all for $350

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Go and get yourself a 90+ Ram/Max 4x4 and do the swap. Much more straightforward. They come with the 3.0L V6. You then can reuse most everything in your engine bay, motor mounts, bolts directly to your transmission, fuel, etc. You will have to get creative on some other parts, but its doable.

I did the same but with a 3.8L MIVEC engine out of a 2007 Eclipse. Running it on a (flashable) 1998 3000GT VR4 ecu. ~300hp at the tap of a pedal.

Quick video. I have several walk arounds in there too.

Array
    Status
    Choctaw, Oklahoma
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Daaang,man. I freaking love it, that is one clean swap! Unfortunately I am elbows deep in it already. I am also really kicking around the thought of using the complete drive train...front an rear axles. I could incorporate my own lift in the process, plus I think it might look crazy with independent rear end?!

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Had no internet, or pinouts, etc.... when I did my very first EFI swap. So that's exactly what I did, swap every dam thing - lol
    2.0 starion sohc into an old carb 1.8 corolla. 700 pounds lighter = awesome performance
    Montero electronics most likely better than these old pickups, simple but quirky stuff anyway

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/showthread.php/5044-1990-Max-4X4-Build

features the 3.8 Mivec eclipse motor swap. May be of some help
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSjp...ature=youtu.be

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcornsilk View Post
    Daaang,man. I freaking love it, that is one clean swap! Unfortunately I am elbows deep in it already. I am also really kicking around the thought of using the complete drive train...front an rear axles. I could incorporate my own lift in the process, plus I think it might look crazy with independent rear end?!
    I get it. If you had a Montero Sport you could just remove the cabs of each and put it down. There are probably a couple hiccups along the way, but they built the Sport off the Mighty Max chassis, so in theory it all should fit. 2000+ Full size monteros are all on their own. I would just pull the motor and toss the rest. Almost nothing else works. You also cant flash program that ECU yet, unlike the 98-99 full size, or 98 Sports.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Had no internet, or pinouts, etc.... when I did my very first EFI swap. So that's exactly what I did, swap every dam thing - lol
    2.0 starion sohc into an old carb 1.8 corolla. 700 pounds lighter = awesome performance
    Montero electronics most likely better than these old pickups, simple but quirky stuff anyway

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/showthread.php/5044-1990-Max-4X4-Build

features the 3.8 Mivec eclipse motor swap. May be of some help
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSjp...ature=youtu.be
    Hmm...that looks familiar.

Array
    Status
    Choctaw, Oklahoma
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Awesome,thanks fellas for all the input! Still trying to figure out how to post photos! I agree these xls's are quit different. But I can tell by the look that the ol 50 keeps giving the Montero's rear end,that it sure wouldn't mind having a swing like that in his backyard! Haha,the jury is still out on how much I use of it.

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Still trying to figure out how to post photos!
    Here's a pretty easy way to post photos

Click the photo icon at the top of the page:
    InkedCapture_LI.jpg

Then this little dialog box pops up, follow these steps:

1. click on the "From Computer" tab on the top
    2. click on "Choose File" button and select the photo from your computer
    3. click the "Upload File(s)" button- it will turn red, give it a few seconds, your photo will show up

InkedCapture2_LI2.jpg

Hope that makes sense

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Ugh yeah, forgot about the trans issue. You're going to be forced to use the Monty drivetrain in it's near complete state as the Ram 4x4 won't let anything V6 bolt up to it. Big hurdle there. Might need a date with an angle grinder and welder to alter mounts etc.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Choctaw, Oklahoma
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    20190205_165921.jpg
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Choctaw, Oklahoma
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Array
    Status
    Choctaw, Oklahoma
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Have no idea why they rotated,but there's the start I have. Thinking I'm gonna copy an paste the sub frame to the 50....wheels will be around 3" wider than what is on it already,but I think with flares from they guy in UK,and the right offset rims I should be good. Haven't really factored in the lift its gonna give it due to the weight difference, but I think its gonna be for sure different having independent front an back! Again thank you for your input,really loving this forum! Thanks MrPaco for the how to on uploading!

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Have no idea why they rotated
    I should've mentioned that, for whatever reason, the system doesn't like vertical pictures. Whenever you upload a vertical shot, it will automatically turn it on it's side so it's horizontal. So it might be better to just shoot horizontal going forward (at least for the purpose of uploading here). Glad that it worked out, and you're able to post pics now.

Very cool project you got going!

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Yeah the pic rotation thing is annoying but at least you got some uploads.

Array
    Status
    Choctaw, Oklahoma
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Ok,I've got problems now! I went to drop the motor in...an it will not even come close to fitting in. The oil pan sits right on top of the front diff. The motor is out of a 4x4, will an oil pan out of a 3.0 be the same bolt pattern? Thanks any responses!

Array
    Status
    Choctaw, Oklahoma
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Surely Mitsubishi didn't have two different width frames for these trucks! Chargerx3 may have hit the nail on the head when he told me to start off with a v6 truck...

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Thats because the motors and axles sit in different locations between the 3rd gens and 1st gens. You need an oil pan that will clear it. Took me a long while to find the perfect one for our mighty max's. 2003-2006 3.5L Kia Sorento Oil pan and pickup assembly. You're welcome.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Pan-KIA...~w8:rk:47:pf:0

And yes, you should have got a v6 Max to start off. Just wait until you get to electrical.

Array
    Status
    Choctaw, Oklahoma
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargerx3 View Post
    Thats because the motors and axles sit in different locations between the 3rd gens and 1st gens. You need an oil pan that will clear it. Took me a long while to find the perfect one for our mighty max's. 2003-2006 3.5L Kia Sorento Oil pan and pickup assembly. You're welcome.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Pan-KIA...~w8:rk:47:pf:0

And yes, you should have got a v6 Max to start off. Just wait until you get to electrical.
    Man,I really really appreciate you! I looked all weekend,post after post trying to find any light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for everything,boss

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    You're welcome. Be sure to find an oil pickup and the dipstick as well. These pans are becoming more common at junk yards, so that helps. When you go to put it together you will notice that there are 2 bolt holes missing on your pan. One you will drill out and the other wont line up. Its ok that it wont. Just fasten everything down with your bolts and then make sure to use a good RTV silicon. It wont leak.