Array
    Status
    liverpool ny
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

1st gen 5 speed conversion

So I have an 84 ram50 2.0 and at the moment it has a 4speed trans. I am looking to swap to the 5 speed trans for the overdrive. Is there anything I need to know before I take on the swap? Like driveshaft clutch anything like that?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The Ram didn't come with a 5 speed auto. They weren't in production at the time. They were either old school 3 speed or the 4 speed OD like your truck currently has fitted.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    liverpool ny
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I know they didn’t come with a 5 speed auto I am looking at buying a 5 speed manual trans from a 2.0 truck and I’m not sure if everything is the same.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Ah ok, my bad. Wasn't reading it right. If your engine is a 4G52 (the 2.0 version of the Astron 4G54) it might be tricky. The Astron 2.0 is a narrow block engine which should be the same as the belt driven G63B 2.0. I can't say if the flywheel, crank and clutch assemblies are interchangeable but if it's the G63B (which it should be going by your year of build date on your truck) then it's a no brainer. Just need the assemblies off the same engine with the trans and swap it over. You will need to make a mod for the clutch cable but it would be nicer to build a hydraulic clutch for it (will take some mods to get it to work but the firewall on stock manual trans trucks have a habit of flexing around the cable adjuster which in turn can lead to cracked sheet metal, especially if you're using a sports/heavy duty clutch and pressure plate) The 4G54 2.6 litre trucks have a wide block pattern, which means the trans won't bolt up to the G63B engine. The foot well might be a bit tighter too as the auto has a wider trans tunnel but it's all do-able.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    liverpool ny
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Ok thank you for some info do you know if the driveshafts are the same length between the 4 speed and 5 speed trans?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If its a narrow 4 speed manual - straight up nut and bolt swap. Everything is the same as far as the mounting locations and drive shaft length. I am pretty sure the splines are the same from output shaft to front yoke but check before taking the leap. It'll save you a second trip to wherever you're getting parts from. As a precaution, grab the rear extension housing mount as well from the donor. There are 2 types of mount with different spacing between the mounting studs. The 5 speed is sooo much nicer to live with (did a swap on a Celeste/Arrow fastback many moons ago)