Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Faulty temperature sensor, or gauge?

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by FMS88 View Post
    You want the single blade sensor. The Mitsubishi P/N is MD091056 according to my old parts book. Should be the same or work for the Ram 50. The two blade sensor sends info to the computer controlling the Mikuni carb, not the temp gauge.
    Old thread (?) but my temp gauge not working (again) and truck (Mikuni carb) runs rather rich ~ am ordering the two blade CTS from Rock Auto (oreillys napa autozone no have correct sensor)

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    Old thread (?) but my temp gauge not working (again) and truck (Mikuni carb) runs rather rich ~ am ordering the two blade CTS from Rock Auto (oreillys napa autozone no have correct sensor)
    The two-blade CTS is for the feed-back carburetor system and computer. Replacement might help the rich condition but not the gauge. The sending unit for the gauge has a single blade. Look at the schematic in the Haynes manual, page 12-13. The single wire to the gauge CTS is red on yellow. (Haynes may have printed the schematic for a Gen 2, but I bet it's the same for your Gen 1.)

The test for a Gen2 gauge: disconnect the wire and ground the connector through a test light. Turn key to "On" and the light should flash and the gauge operate. If only the light flashes, the gauge is faulty. If no light or gauge operation, the sending unit or gauge circuit has a fault. I bet the same test applies to your truck. If you think it's the sending unit and you can't find one, I have extra used ones you're welcome to.

Here's the gauge sending unit per my parts list, P/N MD001380:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/293183077612

Note that it has a squared off end. You don't want the single blade unit with a bullet shaped end. It's a switch, not a sending unit.
    Last edited by FMS88; 01-12-2023 at 01:23 PM.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    DANG IT FMS88..!

OK, sometime REAL SOON I am gonna hunt down & find the gauge sending unit..!

THANKS TEACHER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12