Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Transmission wont come out?

Well i finally got around to pulling the transmission out of my truck to rebuild or replace it but have run into an issue. I started with a small trolley jack to try and lift the trans and slide it back but only could get it to move about an inch. ive tried every angle of tilt and lifting pressure but no luck. a few times the jack would slide around on the bottom of the trans which im sure put lots of strain on the clutch plate and input shaft but i was kinda stuck with what i had, i even used a long ratcheting strap looped around the transfer case as close to the rear drive shaft output as possible to keep it pulling in a straight line with the input shaft but still no luck. I borrowed my grandpas floor jack with a wider lift pad on it for better balance with some wood blocks and a small 2x6 to keep the jack lifting as close to center mass to the trans as possible but still no rearward movement. im sure at this point with all the jolting and slipping that something must be damaged but i still cant get the trans to separate more than an inch from the motor. any ideas or tips? ive about had it with the thing after a full day and a half wrestling out in the freezing cold.

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    well i went to harbor freight today and got a transmission jack. now i am able to move the transmission much easier but now i noticed it will move back and forth easily but it hits a hard limit at about an inch away from the engine. im really beginning to think something is really screwed up with the thing and i may have to destructively remove the thing somehow since i cant get into the bell housing to free whatever is holding it in?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Check everything. I've done goofy stuff and forgotten to undo a bracket or a cable etc. It may need another jack to keep it aligned while sliding it back out of the clutch disc...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Im kinda wondering about the clutch being possibly bent, would this keep it from coming out? i may have bent it when the wood blocks fell out from between it and the jack and the thing was only held up by the input shaft. i have triple checked to make sure everything is disconnected and have used multiple supports and locations for lifting/supporting to keep everything centered.

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    well ive really been thinking about it and i am starting to think that the problem has to due with the pilot bearing being stuck to the input shaft causing it to lock into the clutch disk. i did a bit of digging and found that this is an occurrence that sometimes happens and when it does you have to either force the bell housing apart from the engine using all-thread and some nuts and washers sized to the thread in the engine block or a come-along or even worse cutting a hole in the bell housing to release the clutch cover assembly from the flywheel

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    unbolt the pressure plate from the flywheel and drop the whole assembly out with the transmission. I has this happen to Geronimo once with a used tranny I put in to use as a temporary one to have his rebuilt. The end of the input shaft had just enough rust that it wouldn't seat, and the bearing pulled out of the flywheel when we went to pull it back out. It is not easy, but it will work
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    unbolt the pressure plate from the flywheel and drop the whole assembly out with the transmission. I has this happen to Geronimo once with a used tranny I put in to use as a temporary one to have his rebuilt. The end of the input shaft had just enough rust that it wouldn't seat, and the bearing pulled out of the flywheel when we went to pull it back out. It is not easy, but it will work
    How did you gain access to the bolts? i was thinking tomorrow i might go out and jack up the trans as high as it will go and see if i can reach up from the bottom of the bell housing since the bottom has a small indentation where the front bottom bell housing cover attaches and remove the pressure plate that way. does yours have an access panel to get to it? mine is solid all the way around.

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    well i got the sucker out! couldn't get to the pressure plate bolts so i had to winch it out with a come-along attached to the rear axle with the chain routed under the brake line so it didn't get crushed i also used a nut and bolt on the top of the bell housing to keep the engine from twisting backwards towards the trans but im not sure if this really helped since now that i think about it the pressure plate would allowed the clutch to pivot wherever it would need to. I had to put quite a bit of tension on it and it came out with a bang! after i lowered it down and looked at the input shaft it was a bit rusty like pennyman1 mentioned, it also has a wear spot where it looks like it tried to spin inside the pilot bearing. I crawled back under the truck and stuck my finger through the clutch and sure enough the pilot bearing was loose between the clutch and fly wheel.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    glad you got it out - it does sound like the pilot bearing was what was causing the issue. Geronimo had a tin access panel that gave me just enough access to spin the pressure plate bolts out, but even with a lift it was a bitch.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    had the same thing happen many years ago back in the islands, trying to get a 2.0 starion motor
    The motor never let the tranny go. Lucky for me, the owners' brother saw me fighting with it and said,
    "I dunno why my brother would try to sell it... that motor ain't no good" - lol
    Thank you Mr. pilot bearing! Saved me

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Damn that is an overkill technique to pull a transmission out! I get a little scared when sh*t like that happens. You think you're going to break something big time...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Rathdrum
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    We fought with mine for an hour or so before I realized I forgot to take out the two bolts holding the inspection plate to the trans. lol In my defense, there was so much gunk on it that I had to dig to find the heads of the bolts.