Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T

New member with a '84 max

Hey everybody, I'm new around here. I picked up a '84 Mighty Max with the 4d55 a couple years ago.
    IMG_1494716726662.jpg
    It's pretty ruff and needs help but a blast to rip around in (looks pretty killer with my ktm in the back too)
    I am in the process of putting a new 4d56 head on it (balance belt broke and took the head out).
    Being as information out there is rather spoty and most people scratch their heads when I tell them I have a '84 turbo diesel I decided it was prudent to join since I am neither a diesel or turbo guy but do know my way around cars (former technician).
    With all that said I have a couple of pointed questions to start things off:
    Does anyone have a full fsm for a 1984 d50 mighty max or arrow?
    I have looked through the manuals section and it has a lot of info but no full manual for the '84 max
    Second, for the 4d56 head swap, do I need to be concerned about the head gasket thickness or does that only apply to the later flush valve heads?
    Last one for today, I want to run a GM 3 wire alternator. I have already ditched the factory vacuum pump when I had to replace the original alternator with a refurbished unit. I was wondering if anyone has the Ford ranger vacuum pump bracket or pictures of it or a part number? I would love to just by it but will fab one if I can find a picture of it.
    P.S. I'm not much of a picture taker so if you guys want them you'll have to egg me for 'em. I was a tech and never did the hangout and work on cars thing so I rarely stop to take pictures whilst working on stuff (even when it'll help me put it back together)

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. It's the John Wick of minitrucks dressed in tactical black. Geezer approves It seems the site is going through a renaissance of sorts with new members signing up regularly which is awesome. I'm pretty sure the GM alternator upgrade gets honorable mention somewhere here. Unfortunately I'm not one of the diesel gurus we are lucky to have as members but if you can think of a mod/tech tip, I guarantee it's already been done and commented on.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Haha! Thanks Geezer.
    It definitely has character which is one thing I really like about it. I can appreciate a good restoration or resto-mod, this thing though will be kept with character, fixed up for sure but old skool cool, so to speek.

One more question for the diesel heads that I forgot yesterday.
    Does anyone know the exhaust stud torque for the early 4d56 heads? I do not subscribe to the "torque is a non-issue" group but every manual I've looked in does not list it. It may very well not be there for the having (makes sense since it doesn't have any clamping force that it applies) which means I'll just go off the standard ratings for the size of fastener

Array
    Status
    Tustin, CA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I have the 1984 factory manual. No, you may not have it. this may help
    tight.jpg
    Attached Files

Array
    Status
    Tustin, CA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I just checked and there are several 84 factory manuals on Ebay.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    The ranger stuff is all one off. Since they are so rare i doubt you will find parts for them.
    The ranger has its own harmonic balancer different from any of the mitsubishi ones, as well as the alternator/ac were mounted in opposite positions. The ford vac pump was mounted where the mistu mounts the power steering pump, top passenger side of the head.

Your best bet at this point is to go with a VW electric pump or put a mechanical back on. When mine failed, i ordered a new alt with pump on ebay for $120, its a 90a with new vac pump

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Thanks guys, I did wind up getting a manual from ebay (it is awesome).
    Skullzaflare, I figured the ranger stuff was all one offs from Ford. I thought the alternator was up where the mitsu power steering was and the vac pump was down where mitsu put the ac compressor?
    I did try an aftermarket electric pump from sum..it, no bueno. Loud as hell, ended up having to fix it once after it broke and gave up after the second time. Maybe an OE option would be better.