Thread: 87 Ram 50 4x4 "junkyard" rescue,

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    You could bobtail it while you are there. Add a huge crossmember for a towhitch

Over here this would be a paperwork nightmare to fix

Array
    Status
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I don't think I'll bob the bed, but I will definitely be adding in a tow hitch. Part of me wants to build a new spare tire carrier, but I know I'm just gonna toss the spare tire in the bed anyways.

I'm thankful that Kansas is extremely boring and flat and practically 100% farmland and prarie, because the laws on vehicle quality are much less strict than the laws concerning the methane output of livestock.

Regulating cow farts is more important than the structural integrity or carbon footprint of vehicles on public roads... But the roads themselves serve as a "survival of the fittest" inspection anyways. Lol

Array
    Status
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Just as an FYI: Mr. Gasket p/n 1516 fuel pump block off plate does NOT bolt directly to the G54B. It hits both the valve cover and the intake manifold, but the bolt holes line up. It will fit after cutting off the excess on the bottom, but the gasket that comes with it will no longer work. A new stock fuel pump gasket will be needed.

Array
    Status
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    After all of the disappointments, accidents and mistakes, I should give this little truck some credit. The engine seems to be either extremely well taken care of, or much newer than the rest of the truck. The coolant was bright green, no rust in the radiator. The exhaust manifold studs weren't even that rusty... I don't know if there is some way of figuring out the age or mileage of this engine, but I would love to know if this one is original to this truck or has been replaced. Is there any markings that would tell the story?

I got the tach mounted, I hate drilling holes in the dash but oh well. I still have to finish wiring it up, just have to decide where to tap into for illumination and switched +12v. The stereo should be relatively easy to wire in, since the previous owner had an aftermarket one installed.

Two of the three green 168 gauge cluster bulbs are burnt out, and I'm unsure if those green covers are removable. I'm seriously considering swapping to LEDs, but that will have to wait. The turn signal flasher doesn't work, but the hazards do. Every other bulb in the truck works though.

I'm still working through all the little things, hopefully I can make progress this weekend.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    These motors last if oil changed regularly. I got 275,000 and it was a something mechanical that made me rebuild it. It could of went many more miles with good compression and not a drop of oil burned.
    View History & Progress
    1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max ("Mitsy") Repair-Renew-Rebuild-Replace Thread

"My 1st Gen Japanese Vehicles"
    1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max ("Mitsy"-Purchased '87)
    1989 Toyota MR2 GT (Purchased '08)
    1974 Toyota Celica GT (Purchased '76 - Sold '12)
    "My 1st American Car - 9th Gen Thunderbird"
    1985 5.0 302 Ford Thunderbird (Purchased '14) - "Restoration"
    Check out custom made trucks shirts for your own vehicles in the "FOR SALE" thread of forum

Array
    Status
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Considering what the oil looked like when I drained it, it hadn't been changed for at least 10k miles.

I guess the only way to really know is to pull the head.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123