Yay.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Oh sh*t. Looks like the nylon split from age. First time I've seen one do that. Well, there's another thing that you won't need to mess with for a long time once you've replaced it
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net Get perks and donations $15 USD and over receive official MightyRam50.Net window decals

Array
    Status
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The thing that bugs me is the fact that it's a manual transmission truck, with an automatic transmission starter. Plus this starter is actually not that old, it's a Remy Gold brand new starter.

I ordered a new ACDELCO starter, the direct drive manual transmission one, and it should be here by next Wednesday.

One step forward, three steps back.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hmm, I was sure the auto vs manual starters were different (output drive gears on the auto are 9 tooth...?) so they couldn't be swapped. Then there's different throw-outs on them as well. Starter motors are one of the things that can catch you out on Mitsubishis...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net Get perks and donations $15 USD and over receive official MightyRam50.Net window decals

Array
    Status
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    It says 8 tooth on the '87 starters for both auto and manual... I think the biggest difference is direct drive vs gear reduction for this specific truck, and I'll have both to compare once it shows up.

Array
    Status
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Since I'm just sitting and waiting for the new starter to show up, I decided to take a look at the A/C wiring... There's more melted wires under the dash next to the fuse block, so now I'm pulling the dash again to see how far it goes.

While the truck is in the garage, I figured I'd take care of a few other things. I replaced the upper radiator hose, there was a pinhole in the side of the old one and I'm not taking any chances. I moved the ignition coil off of the inner fender, it's now mounted to the intake manifold on the EGR block-off plate.

I'm hoping that it's just the A/C wiring that is FUBAR'd, because I can replace that. I don't want to replace most of the wiring harness itself...

Array
    Status
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    New starter is in, it turns over quite a bit slower but somehow starts easier.

I pulled the dash out and pulled the three wires that had melted all the way to the connector next to the evaporator, replaced them with heavier gauge wires I stripped from the FBC harness, and I'm running then all separate from the rest of the harness.

Other than the truck not wanting to start for a few hours after driving it around a little bit, I'm going to call it fixed. I think it might have just been a slightly loose cable somewhere, after getting the battery tested and reinstalling it the truck fired up no problem... I guess I'll just wait and see if it's a recurring problem, might need to upgrade the battery cables and/or the alternator.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Damn, why did this thing roast the wiring harness? I really should go back over your thread before asking this but - have you gone over the ground leads to make sure you've got good connections? Bad grounds do all sorts of weird stuff...

Array
    Status
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The grounds are all clean and tight, but I'm seriously considering replacing all of the battery and ground cables with 0 gauge cables. Mostly just to eliminate the possibility of one of those 32 year old cables being full of corrosion or having a loose terminal...

With the amount of oil soaked into everything, the cables might not have any corrosion at all in them... But I'm pretty sure heavier gauge would help A LOT with the starting, and probably charging... That and a 90 amp alternator would help quite a bit as well.

Array
    Status
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    So, tried starting the truck again and it didn't want to. The battery has a full 12.5 volts, but it's acting like the battery is almost dead and the starter is cranking over extremely slowly. I might take it over to Advanced and have them do a current draw test on it, because if it's not pushing out enough amps then I can warranty the battery with those test results. Or just get a full refund and buy a bigger battery.

I'm also going to look at getting a heavier gauge battery cable to try and get all the power that I can to that starter.

Truck ran really well when it actually started this morning, though.

Array
    Status
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Starter is still not wanting to turn over fast enough... I replaced the battery cable to the starter, added an extra ground to the engine block, and cleaned every connection.

The only other thing I can think of is to pull the starter out and check it over, see if it's a clearance issue between the gear and the flywheel or the brushes not making full contact...

But I did get that toolbox for the bed (finally). Its too narrow to sit on the bed sides, but it was free so I'll either figure out some kind of brackets to mount it or trade it for one that will fit. Part of me wants to mount it to the wheel wells and just mount a spare wheel or two behind it , maybe build a roll bar with an integrated spare mount. IDK.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I assume the latest post means you have had the battery tested under load? That means when you are trying to start the motor. If not try that before removing the starter. Cause that is a PIA
    Actually if you have a newer battery you know is good putting that in and trying to start will also tell you if the battery is bad or too drained.

Array
    Status
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I had the battery load tested, it had 708 cranking amps, it's rated for 650 at 32F. That and it's only 3 months old.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011