Array
    Status
    Belvidere, NC
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G67

1990 Mighty Max - Overdrive In/Out

I just had the transmission and ECM replaced and the overdrive still goes in and out. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. All help much appreciated!

Array
    Status
    Belvidere, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G67
    Also, if someone suggests that I ground a little black wire, please share the exact location (pic preferably) as pennyman has suggested this on every post.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. The OD's are tripped by a temperature sensor on the engine so there could either be a problem with the sensor, a bad ground or the wiring to the sensor is sketchy. Bad grounds will cause random faults and charging issues so it's worth while disconnecting them and giving them a freshen up anyway. Maybe try grounding the temperature sensor to test the theory as well (once the engine is warm to avoid any risk of damaging the trans) Someone else will chime in and offer some insight.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    The OD's are tripped by a temperature sensor on the engine
    Geezer (or anyone else who knows about this stuff), can you explain how this works?
    I just got a hold of an owner's manual, and here's what it has to say about OD (see the picture below).
    If I'm reading this correctly, it's saying that the OD button, if pressed in (thus turning off the OD), it will only allow the A/T to go up to 3rd gear, but not 4th. If this is right, what role does the temperature sensor play on this?
    Thanks, and I hope that question makes sense...

IMG_7899.jpg

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The temp sensor and related faults have come up from time to time. The above synopsis made by MrPaco is correct - there is a manual engage/disengage switch on the end of the control stalk. There are a bunch of components that could be the culprit like the manual switch assembly, the OD solenoid, the temp sensor etc. The temp sensor simply prevents OD from operating until the whole show has warmed up sufficiently.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Could try flushing the OD button out with electrical contact cleaner - might be dirty contacts

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I was thinking to hook a volt gauge to connectors and see if your getting intermittent connect disconnects at the same time that trany starts to play games. Almost sounds like a speed control relay or a broken solder spot. Our trucks are so old now, solder starts to give out on electrical.

Array
    Status
    Belvidere, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G67
    Where is exactly is the temp sensor located? It seems that the overdrive works better when the truck is warm. If the truck does shift into overdrive, the button on the shifter does disengage. A picture would be super helpful. Location of Temp sensor, relay, wires to check. Thanks so much!

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Subscribed as well. My father has a 91 Ram 50 4x4 that will not go into OD. Someone replaced the motor at one point and im almost certain the proper intake manifold with the sensor are not there. When you cycle the column button the light will go on and off.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The temp sensor is located on the intake in front of the throttle body. it is a one terminal sensor. It delays the availability of o/d to when the truck is up to operating temperature. It is an emissions thing and is not necessary. There may be 2 sensors near each other in the same location - one is the gauge sensor and the other is the o/d sensor. both have black wires, but one should have a white tracer - that is the gauge sensor. There should be a spot on the intake beside the throttle body that has 1/4 inch lugs held on with a bolt - that is where to ground the sensor wire to give you o/d at any temperature. Hope this helps.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    The temp sensor is located on the intake in front of the throttle body. it is a one terminal sensor. It delays the availability of o/d to when the truck is up to operating temperature. It is an emissions thing and is not necessary. There may be 2 sensors near each other in the same location - one is the gauge sensor and the other is the o/d sensor. both have black wires, but one should have a white tracer - that is the gauge sensor. There should be a spot on the intake beside the throttle body that has 1/4 inch lugs held on with a bolt - that is where to ground the sensor wire to give you o/d at any temperature. Hope this helps.
    Great explanation.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Turns out that on the V6 the temp sensor is at the very front of the motor and that there are a total of 4 coolant temp sensors next to each other. I tried grounding both of the ones that were single leads to the battery but nothing changed. I’m going to try and ground at the TCU next just in case my wiring is bad. Any other suggestions?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    you may have an transmission ECM that controls the o/d on your setup depending on the year of your transmission. Is this on the motor swapped truck?
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Correct it has an ECM. I tried jumping the lead coming out of it to ground and still no change. Wondering if the modual is bad. My luck it has leaky caps. Wonder if the 4 cyl TCU is the same or interchangeable with the V6?

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Honored Posters___
    ???4g67???
    No matter,
    Much more going on ,

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    That module looks to have the same amounts of leads and the same colors. Have a part number?

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Apologies Chargerx3 for the late reply,
    TCU # MB670284.
    ---> obsolete<----
    Last edited by claych; 07-13-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Ok, so to summarize the V6 part number for the TCU is MB670284 and the 4Cyl is the SAME?

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    MB670284,
    Same for 4G64 & 6G72 from '91-'95
    Verified on actual vehicles

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    This opens up a new door for us V6 auto guys then. Albeit there are probably only a few hundred that ever existed but it means we aren’t stranded and can scalp from the red 4cyl trucks in the bone yard. Great work!

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I strive to be Tau'ri Colonel

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Update ,

MB670284 TCM
    2x4 or 4x4 !!!

Now verified on 3 vehicles.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by claych View Post
    Update ,

MB670284 TCM
    2x4 or 4x4 !!!

Now verified on 3 vehicles.
    Truth. Thanks to claych's extra 2wd TCM my fathers 4x4 V6 Ram is now shifting into OD. This is a great find for all us auto guys out here...2wd or 4wd.

Thanks bud!

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    An Honor as always, Sir .

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    The OD is also sensitive the speed sensor in your Speedo. If your Speedometer is working incorrectly it will not go into OD. Probably not the case here but just adding that in.

While I waited for a new speedo cable I did the ole OD swap into an old Mopar trick and ran a toggle switch to ground and ran the other end to the proper line on the harness going into the tranny. When I wanted OD.. I would flip the switch grounding the wire and into OD it goes... but.... you have to flip the switch to go OUT of OD and remembering to do that can be a pain. Also this engages not only OD but the lock up IMMEDIATELY and can be jarring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast