Array
    Status
    Christiansted, Virgin Islands
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

J Series V6 Swap and a big favor

Hi everyone I have a 90 Mighty Max with the 2.4l and automatic tranny. Iím eventually leading up to putting a Honda J-series V6 in it. Iíve been lingering on the idea of keep the truck automatic, itís my first automatic truck and I actually like it. I realize that the tranny is based off a Chrysler platform so there are options of building it to handle the power well.

I donít want to tear the truck apart just yet, I want to get the engine ready so when I pull the old one out Iíll just be making mounts, plumbing, and wiring. Would someone with a mighty max tranny laying around be willing to make a template of the bellhousing with poster board or something similar for me? Something that can fold up and go in a flat rate envelope. Iíll pay the shipping no problem and even reiemburse for supplies if necessary.

This way I can start figuring out what Iím going to do for an adapter.

Thanks everyone

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I like automatics too, as long as it's behind a nice torquey(low and midrange) motor.
    That 4spd auto most likely a jatco, not the early 3 speed chrysler type
    Should be a nice swap if you pull it off

the adapter is only half the battle. How would you know the thickness without engine & tranny in front of you ?
    Still gotta figure out converter bolt-up, spacing, centering/support, etc..
    When frankensteining, expect a good much down-time anyway

iirc my 2.4L 7-bolt truck motor had a wierd looking auto flex plate like this

Array
    Status
    Christiansted, Virgin Islands
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    I like automatics too, as long as it's behind a nice torquey(low and midrange) motor.
    That 4spd auto most likely a jatco, not the early 3 speed chrysler type
    Should be a nice swap if you pull it off

the adapter is only half the battle. How would you know the thickness without engine & tranny in front of you ?
    Still gotta figure out converter bolt-up, spacing, centering/support, etc..
    When frankensteining, expect a good much down-time anyway

iirc my 2.4L 7-bolt truck motor had a wierd looking auto flex plate like this
    So along with the bellhousing template I would need a measurement of things like input shaft, bellhousing to input shaft, etc. If I it was easy for me to find another auto trans then I would do it but itís not so easy here in the Virgin Islands. I have the original stock Honda trans and flex plate. I intend to keep the Honda flexplate then most likely redrill it for the mighty max converter. I plan to use the stock Honda bellhousing to help me mate the two transmissions.