Array
    Status
    Christiansted, Virgin Islands
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

J Series V6 Swap and a big favor

Hi everyone I have a 90 Mighty Max with the 2.4l and automatic tranny. I’m eventually leading up to putting a Honda J-series V6 in it. I’ve been lingering on the idea of keep the truck automatic, it’s my first automatic truck and I actually like it. I realize that the tranny is based off a Chrysler platform so there are options of building it to handle the power well.

I don’t want to tear the truck apart just yet, I want to get the engine ready so when I pull the old one out I’ll just be making mounts, plumbing, and wiring. Would someone with a mighty max tranny laying around be willing to make a template of the bellhousing with poster board or something similar for me? Something that can fold up and go in a flat rate envelope. I’ll pay the shipping no problem and even reiemburse for supplies if necessary.

This way I can start figuring out what I’m going to do for an adapter.

Thanks everyone

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I like automatics too, as long as it's behind a nice torquey(low and midrange) motor.
    That 4spd auto most likely a jatco, not the early 3 speed chrysler type
    Should be a nice swap if you pull it off

the adapter is only half the battle. How would you know the thickness without engine & tranny in front of you ?
    Still gotta figure out converter bolt-up, spacing, centering/support, etc..
    When frankensteining, expect a good much down-time anyway

iirc my 2.4L 7-bolt truck motor had a wierd looking auto flex plate like this

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    I like automatics too, as long as it's behind a nice torquey(low and midrange) motor.
    That 4spd auto most likely a jatco, not the early 3 speed chrysler type
    Should be a nice swap if you pull it off

the adapter is only half the battle. How would you know the thickness without engine & tranny in front of you ?
    Still gotta figure out converter bolt-up, spacing, centering/support, etc..
    When frankensteining, expect a good much down-time anyway

iirc my 2.4L 7-bolt truck motor had a wierd looking auto flex plate like this
    So along with the bellhousing template I would need a measurement of things like input shaft, bellhousing to input shaft, etc. If I it was easy for me to find another auto trans then I would do it but it’s not so easy here in the Virgin Islands. I have the original stock Honda trans and flex plate. I intend to keep the Honda flexplate then most likely redrill it for the mighty max converter. I plan to use the stock Honda bellhousing to help me mate the two transmissions.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    So for my swap I’ve decided to scrap the idea of using the stock automatic transmission and am now opting to use a Chevy 4L60E to mate up with my Acura J-swap. The 4l60e is a 4speed auto that has great aftermarket support on top of being strong and realiable. This is a picture of my swap candidate. So far I’ve swapped in LED lights. Other than that I’m waiting to paint over the stripes lol, and currently working on mounting carbon fiber mirrors on. Got one side done. I’ll post some pictures of that later. I’ll also get some pictures of the Acura V-6, I’ve been working on getting the wiring together.
    754CF290-E362-4B4C-A513-73F280E3CBE7.jpg

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    I have a 700r4 in mine, soon to swap out for a 4L60e
    The 700r4 is entirely mechanical and just needs a kickdown cable. The 4L60e will need a standalone computer to control it

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    why the honda V6, tho..... was it free or something ?
    Are there no more RWD driveline swap candidates local to you ?
    is your 2.4 motor bad ?

jatcos r strong once u bump them up, and should handle anything the J V6 can dish out. It's a simple mechanical unit too

4L60 gets very wide at the lower section of the tranny. Measure it 1st
    I prefer the toyota 4spd autos, as they're relatively scrawny in size, but can take some abuse

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Yea the motor was free. It came with engine harness and ecu. The 4l60e was free too, but also there’s an adapter made to put Chevy transmissions behind the Honda J. I’ll post some pics of my harness. I’ve been stripping it down and finding the wires I need to get it running.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Can post pics and some measurements from my 700r4 in 1st gen crossmember if it's any help. The hand brake pivot was also removed and attached to the new crossmember. I believe the trans tunnel has also been modded for width and height

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Haven't done my engine swap yet but I've been working on engine wiring which is about done so far and gonna start messing trans stuff soon. So far I've done my flatbed swap, bamboo headliner, and made my customs wheels I've been wanting to do for awhile.

20200328_163653.jpg20200313_065350.jpg20200328_181433.jpg20200329_144618.jpg20200217_144835.jpg

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Oh damn, I just checked out your location. It doesn't get much more remote than that. I'd imagine if anything major went wrong or you were desperate for a part it would be a nightmare. What has it been like getting aftermarket parts like the headlights for it?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Getting small stuff, like the headlights, isn't a problem as long as the person I'm buying from ships using the post office. Fedex and UPS charge us as if we're international. Big items I have to ship to a freight forwarder in Florida. Post office doesn't take long at all. Just ordered my throttle bodies for my V6 and got them in 3 days.