Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Question Glass roof option???

I have been considering fabing up a glass roof option for the MM.
    I don't want a pop up sunroof. Looking more of a glass panoramic roof for it.
    Any suggestions or links sizes that would work would be helpful. It doesn't necessarily need to take up the whole roof lining.
    Like the old crx use to have.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The structural cabin design wouldn't accommodate a full glass roof (hey if you throw enough money at something or skills anything is possible). The cabs on these trucks are like cardboard boxes and flex around and would be worse if it wasn't for the chassis frame. You'd need to cut the entire roof off, create recessed channel frames over the tops of the doors and across the front and rear glass. It will need a custom made safety glass turret that would then have to be glued in with a urethane sealant and it would also probably need provisions for drainage channels. Theoretically the added framework would be enough to reinforce the cab from flexing and the glass will then become a structural part of the cab construction once the urethane has a hold on it. But if it isn't enough and the cab wobbles around, that glass could pop - kinda scary. Gluing in windscreens is how manufacturers got away with making the bodies on cars less rigid in the late 80's - the glass became a structural feature of the car.

*Fun fact - Peterbilt truck cabs are completely glued together
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    measure the roof from the CRX or similar vs the pickup, then go for it
    the glass roof should have sheet metal framing ribs around it

All my AE86 corolla hatch sunroofs oem steel panels rotted out in this salt air
    A glass panel that tilted up in the rear and slid back above/outside the roof would be perfect I thought
    Luckily I caught a buddy about to dump a 98ish honda prelude after plucking out the H22. Glass roof was ideal
    Measurements checked out & electrics.... so I 'surgically' removed the honda sunroof. Free is always good

I always liked those cool looking sliding ragtops, that were ever so popular on mini trucks
    Don't like my pickup enough to buy & install one. My other AE86 Levin hatch will get one of those tho

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Maxdsm,
    Sorry for the late reply,
    Had to dig up My notes.
    ---Full Frame ??? Cab flex???---
    MMMM,No.

---FACTORY back glass can be 'trimmed'---
    I.E, trim the trapezoid to a simple rectangle.

Oh wait I must stand down .

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Yes, I was just comparing the crx roof so you'd get the idea. I thinks after studying this it might not be a good idea seeing it wouldbe alot of fab work and not be structured. Might just add a regular sun roof down the road. Not sure yet. Thanks to all who replied.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    You can get non opening sunrooves. just get the biggest you can find and cut the roof out. The frame of the glass will add all the strenth of the roof panel back in.

If you were to get a hand held panel swager you could make a lip in the cut, lay some acrylic over the roof first and heat it till it forms the shape of the roof panel. Easy custom fixed glass as big as you want. Glue it in and it will never leak.
    Have seen that done with customs, theres a few walkthroughs online. I would want it tinted otherwise it would get pretty warm inside

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Tortron that's what I was wondering, if I cut a big hole in the roof lining and put a tinted glass roof in. Would it be hold and not leak? With out having to structurely reinforce It. I will get some measurements and ideas and report back and see what you all think. Thanks.

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Merced...ac6f%7Ciid%3A1

Rply all ::'Thought about something like this??? As long. As it fits. I haven't taken any measurements as of yet.
    Attached Images