Thread: 20 year nap / 85 Montero resurrection

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    What's with the valves on the new head? Are you replacing them all or did it come with mismatching valves? I'd be attacking that fresh head with a die grinder and radiusing all of the sharp edges in the chambers and having a look at the valve bowls and ports. Good luck with your first engine start, hope it cranks over without a fight
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    So I was looking into my truck today and i think i have a cracked block, and thats why its running like crap. so yeah, if i had the option i would go 8V, or i would do a DOHC swap and a 4V if thats possible? (Potential custom future mod?????)

Array
    Status
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B
    Well.... I'm reporting back a week later than estimated because I had an issue. I assembled the cylinder head I ordered and installed it last Thursday night. Everything went perfect. Fired up first try and ran so smooth. I did a little break in, got the lifters pumped up, and let all the new parts get acquainted to their new home. On my 15 mile drive home I made a stop 1/3 of the way to check fluids and give it once over before I got too far from the shop. Then at 3/4 of the way home I had a dead misfire. Pulled over cylinder 4 had nothing. Limped home, performed a cylinder leak down test ( 100% leakage through exhaust ), and pulled the head to find #4 exhaust valve ruined. My machinist buddy looked at it and said it's likely the clearance wasn't enough and the valve was seizing in the guide. I will be the first to admit I only checked clearance of a few valves and assumed the rest were good. I did buy the same brand valves to match the brand of the head for the application they were going in. I did measure stem width, length, and height to confirm they were within oem specs. So I'm going with the excuse shitty Rockauto parts...
    itmhead.jpgexhaustvalve4.jpg
    After debating about it with a real Machinist I decided to warranty the head and exhaust valves through Rockauto instead of ordering new guides and a valve then rebuilding the head. Surprisingly Rockauto exchanged the head and all 4 exhaust without question and I got all the new parts Wednesday. Assembled the head again making sure to double check everything and since I had this issue and I have the head off again I ordered all new valve springs and lifters. Good news now is that everything is good. With about 40 miles on the 2nd new head the Montero runs great.
    @geezer101 to answer your question Yes a few of the valves looked slightly different. Especially that one intake valve. I considered returning it but said F it and used it anyway. Luckily I didn't spend the time to clean up the ports because it would have been a waste and possibly a warranty issue. As far as the non-jet head vs the jet head. I feel like the engine runs smoother than before. Is it because of the jet valves or the fact it has a new head I don't know. Then power wise it feels the same. Overall I'm happy with it besides the obvious hick-up.
    headwork.jpggaragerepair.jpgthumbsup.jpg

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    It's a shame you had to replace the head twice, but good that RA was decent about replacing the defective one. At least the final outcome is looking very good. Here's to many carefree miles ahead!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Yeah having to pull a brand new head sucks. I have seen brand new heads that looked like GARBAGE and were not cheap to buy either. In hindsight it was wise not to modify the new head but a shop with a good rep would've put a few hours in on it before bolting it down. Glad to hear you are now experiencing some happy motoring after all of this
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B
    Looking for a Torque Converter. Anyone have a good source?

Mine isn't dead but I'm planning on pulling it to reseal the front pump on the transmission and I'd like to install a new one ( or quality reman ). I had issues with the flywheel bolts when I installed the new flywheel and I don't want issues again.

Other than that the new cylinder head has been working good. No issues and racked up a couple thousand miles on it.

With all the extra time I've had on my hands I have taken the time to go through a few more things on the Montero. Front brakes and transmission leaks.

monterotrans.jpg
    monterotrans2.jpg
    monterotrans3.jpgShifter Shaft seal, Accumulator seals, Pan gasket, Filter, and fluid changed
    monterobrakes2.jpgmonterobrakes.jpgCalipers cleaned and reseals, new brake hoses, rotors, pads, and brake fluid.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123