Array
    Status
    Oregon
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

No compression in cylinders

Truck was fine. 2 days ago it didn't start, making a weird noise that sounded like the started, but engine was turning. Mechanic had it for 2 days and today his helper said there is no compression on all 4 cylinders. What does this mean and why did this happen? Truck was driving no problem and oil had been changed 3k miles ago.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Strange. No compression on all 4 is very odd. I'm struggling to think of something that would do that

Possibly the head has warped very badly? I would compression test it again and check the engine is actually turning.
    Then valve cover off to check if th valves are moving.
    If the head is warped or you have somehow blown the head gasket on every cylinder you will have very milky oil and coolant so that's easy to check.

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Timing belt/chain broken? No compression on all four makes me think the valves aren't moving

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Do a TDC check on the crank pulley and then do a visual check on the cam alignment mark and distributor. If the crank shows TDC and the cam is out, the belt has stripped a few teeth somewhere.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni89 View Post
    Timing belt/chain broken? No compression on all four makes me think the valves aren't moving
    This, along with Mr. Geezer's observation, are what I think the problem is. When my 2.4 stripped teeth on the timing belt, it did make a strange sound while cranking, although the engine turned. It wasn't until I started opening things up that I located the real problem. (And from there, my adventure began).

It's easy enough to check: take the top timing cover off and crank the engine. If the timing belt isn't moving, then it needs to be replaced.

A sudden loss of compression indicates the valves are in an open position, though Tortron may be correct. Again, you won't know until you look deeper.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by royster View Post
    This, along with Mr. Geezer's observation, are what I think the problem is. When my 2.4 stripped teeth on the timing belt, it did make a strange sound while cranking, although the engine turned. It wasn't until I started opening things up that I located the real problem. (And from there, my adventure began).

It's easy enough to check: take the top timing cover off and crank the engine. If the timing belt isn't moving, then it needs to be replaced.

A sudden loss of compression indicates the valves are in an open position, though Tortron may be correct. Again, you won't know until you look deeper.
    It doesn't necessarily mean the cam won't spin as it only takes a few teeth to be stripped out of the belt for the cam to no longer be synchronised enough to close the valves on a compression stroke. The give away will be that cam timing alignment mark.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Oregon
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Mechanic said internal engine problems and I needed a new engine. The guy building my house told me he's full of it and told me to bring the car over. He quickly checked it today and said the alignment issue you guys are talking about was off by almost 90 degrees. He will open something tomorrow and see if the timing belt had issues. At least that's what I understood he said.

Engine is turning.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If the starter motor will crank the engine over you know it hasn't taken catastrophic damage. I bet a new belt and resetting the timing marks will get it firing in no time. Your 'mechanic' shouldn't be allowed near anything more complicated than a spoon...
    EVERY conventional 4 stroke engine works on the same principal

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    mechanic is looking to make a boat payment....

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    With Permission Honored Posters,One caveat_
    RichardPryor...
    Your single cam 8 valve head is not an interference design,
    i.e. belt fails , no piston to valve contact.

Array
    Status
    Oregon
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Timing belt replaced and cam or whatever aligned. He spent 6 hours and charged $600 with parts. Put in new oil (had none) and replaced all tubes and spark plugs etc as well. My truck is running better than ever!

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Right on!

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Yay! Another success story - we like to hear those

The mechanic's fee seems pretty reasonable. It would be great if he saved the old timing belt, so you could see it.

And I wonder if he came to MightyRam50 for specs??!!

Anyways, congratulations, and get some pictures posted up of your beast :D
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Awesome. 6 hours seems way too long for a mechanic to do a RWD SOHC timing belt but he didn't gouge you like a wounded bull for it, so it's forgivable. I would recommend that in the course of the next oil change you flush the block. Running an engine really low on oil will cook the oil and foul up hydraulics and bearings etc. I've got a write up on how to DIY and it works very well.