Array
    Status
    Christiana, PA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8

Looking for opinion on wheels

I have been in contact with a wheel builder and seriously considering having custom wheels made. As the V8 swap into the first gen continues I'm going to need some wide meats in the back in hopes to hook up this project up.

Here is my thought and looking for your opinions. I'm trying to stay with a cleaned up OEM look and would be using the stock dog dish hub cap wheels. I will have them built into a 15" hoop with custom offset and width. I would also run the beauty ring and chrome dog dish. I was never really a fan of these wheels, but I'm thinking if I can fill up the fender wells nicely it might just look pretty cool.

Thoughts???

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Pretty common thing to do over here (widened steel wheels either a 2" strip added or the centre cut out and welded into new hoops)
    Are you keeping the original stud pattern? What sized tyres would you like to run? You can run 215/80/15s up front, any larger and you will need to trim the bottom points of the wheel arch (mine could do with being spaced out a little to clear the steering but then you need to roll the arch).
    Lots of room in the back for a wider tyre though.

The stud pattern is the same as most other 6stud Japanese trucks so you could easily find some wheels at a junkyard.
    You may consider going up to a 16" wheel, 15" are not so popular now so there's getting to be less choice in tyres.

Black "cop" steels and centre caps would look badass

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    look for Chevy full size pickup 6 bolt from an 87 or earlier truck - steelies are common, and can be found in may different offsets. center hole is the same as our trucks as well.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Christiana, PA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    I would like to keep a 80's look so I'm thinking no bigger than 15". I have found out that the smaller diameter tires are becoming limited and expensive.

The big issue I'm having is finding the right offset in a smaller diameter wheel and 6 bolt pattern.

I figured out on paper a 15x8 in wheel in a +32mm offset wrapped in 255/60/15 will fit on the stock rear. Up front 15x6, +13mm with 215/70/15 will keep the outer sidewalls and diameter front/rear the same and no trimming or rolling.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Centerline wheels might have some that fit Travhous