Status
    Bethesda, MD
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Starter Replacement and Installation Issues

Hi,
    trying to get my 88 2.0 2WD MT back on the road. Just replaced battery cables, but am having intermittent starting issues. Mechanic at shop said starter was the issue. I bought reman starter. I was trying to remove old starter and WOW! -it's tight in there. I think if I use a 14mm deep socket, I can get it out, but it's very challenging. If anyone has an tips for doing this- removal or installation, I would appreciate it. Also, I think the bolt on the terminal connection is spinning which will be another challenge to remove before getting the started out. I'm sure this has been covered before, but had trouble finding posts specifically about removal. Thank you for reading!!!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Sorry but there isn't a magic trick to getting the stater bolts out - just persistence. I would go this route - jack the truck up, take off the wheel, remove the mud deflector and go through that way. It gain you access to the ground and power leads. Get the top starter bolt from the engine bay side and the bottom bolt from the underside (if you have the truck jacked up high enough it should be easier but wrench safely and use axle stands) The damaged stud on the starter solenoid is probably the culprit with your intermittent starting issue. No tips on getting that to release
    While you are under there, disconnect all of your ground leads from the engine, chassis and body and give all the bolts and eyelets etc a thorough clean (check and clean the spade connector to the starter solenoid - I've experienced starter problems from a grimy/frayed connection here as well). Bad ground are the biggest cause of electrical issues.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Bethesda, MD
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Got it! took lots of finagling and fiddling, but new starter works like a charm. thanks again!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Awesome
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function