Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safe Cruising speed for an 87' 4x4 5 speed?

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    @MrPaco where can i find that cluster??? i would love one with a RPM guage, what does it take to install?

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Salteen View Post
    @MrPaco where can i find that cluster??? i would love one with a RPM guage, what does it take to install?
    Sorry, don't know where you can get one, other than a JY or CL. There's a guy near Seattle who has lots of gen 1 and 2 parts and is always posting them on CL (his prices tend to be high), you can easily find him with google.

As far as I know, from stuff I've read here in the forum, the clusters are plug and play, at least for the RPMs. You might need an oil pressure sensor, but someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong on that.

The full cluster came in the Sports trim in '87, you can see that, and other interesting things in this brochure.

1987 Ram 50 Brochure.pdf
    Last edited by MrPaco; 01-16-2020 at 06:50 AM.

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaco View Post
    Sorry, don't know where you can get one, other than a JY or CL. There's a guy near Seattle who has lots of gen 1 and 2 parts and is always posting them on CL (his prices tend to be high), you can easily find him with google.

As far as I know, from stuff I've read here in the forum, the clusters are plug and play, at least for the RPMs. You might need an oil pressure sensor, but someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong on that.

The full cluster came in the Sports trim in '87, you can see that, and other interesting things in this brochure.

1987 Ram 50 Brochure.pdf
    intresting, i will go to u pull it or a local junkyard sometime and try to find a cluster

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Here's a picture of my '87 4x4 (automatic though) going pretty fast, but I doubt it was safe... I didn't take this picture, the guy who I bought the truck did.
    I agree with xboxrox, not sure why anyone would want to do that on this truck...

Attachment 24136
    Thats pretty quick for the 4cyl. Would be interesting what GPS is. The spedo's on these trucks arent entirely accurate. Only at 3,500 rpm too.

Part of me wants to see how fast i can get the Mad Max (3.8L Mivec), but I really dont trust these light little trucks above 80MPH. Lol.

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    the AW372 has a pretty deep overdrive. I've done over an hour of a steady 85mph at least a hundred times in my truck. 3200rpm puts you right around peak torque. I checked my speedo with a speedometer app on my phone, and it was within a few miles an hour. I've towed a few thousand pounds about 120 miles a number of times. Out of overdrive, 32-3300 rpm puts you right around 60-62mph. I've never been afraid to let an engine rev. Lugging an engine causes way more stress than light throttle cruise at higher rpm's.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargerx3 View Post
    Thats pretty quick for the 4cyl. Would be interesting what GPS is. The spedo's on these trucks arent entirely accurate. Only at 3,500 rpm too.

Part of me wants to see how fast i can get the Mad Max (3.8L Mivec), but I really dont trust these light little trucks above 80MPH. Lol.
    Have you got a front dam on your truck? It will make a world of difference when you're beating on it. Last thing you'd want is to experience is that magical hovercraft phenomenon...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Last edited by claych; 01-17-2020 at 09:47 AM. Reason: wrong thread

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargerx3 View Post
    Would be interesting what GPS is.
    Good point. I dont know how accurate it is, but I'll do a test. I dont have a fancy GPS unit, would a phone app be accurate enough?

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    i would say so, as long as you have a good connection

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The phone apps use GPS. The maps app is looking at your GPS speed and the GPS speed of other motorists to determine how long it will take you to arrive at your destination. I have found them to be pretty accurate, but I agree with Salteen, you don't want to do it where you have a really poor signal.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Have you got a front dam on your truck? It will make a world of difference when you're beating on it. Last thing you'd want is to experience is that magical hovercraft phenomenon...
    Cant say ive come close to lift off, but as it is the light truck just feels twitchy at times at speeds. No air dam. Honestly dont know what I could even put up front that would be a bolt on affair. Also, it wouldnt need to take a beating to get going that fast. I imagine I could get up to 100 mph pretty quick with the 3.8.
    Good point. I dont know how accurate it is, but I'll do a test. I dont have a fancy GPS unit, would a phone app be accurate enough?
    I think most of those apps are pretty accurate.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer
    Last thing you'd want is to experience is that magical hovercraft phenomenon
    ^^^ bad for brave !!

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    There won't be much in the options of bolting on an air dam, you're gonna have to get creative. I've only experienced hovercrafting once and it was in my canoe-like Galant wagon (Dodge Colt). I 'may' have been performing the Kessel run manoeuvre at the time... the steering wheel felt like a feather.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    i remember when i first got my permit me and dad took his 78 f150 (dad driving) to 135 on the freeway and it hovered and shifted 2 lanes over. how that old 351 paired to a 3 speed got that fast idk but the speedo wound back up to the 30. like i said a freind had his at 120 with a 4.08 rear end

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    what would a skid plate do? if i took it off would it help any???

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    ok so a bit of digging has told me that these motors peak at around 2500 for torque, 5 to 55 for hp. they CAN go to about 7-8 rpm but its reccomended to stay at around 6. shift at 30,55,80,and 105 is what i was told (for racing and shit) but i actually have a 3.91 with an LSD, so i will get about 2.1k, which they say is best for cruising at 55. my freind has a 82 D50 with a 2.4L swapped in with an aftermarket tach (i am opting for the aftermarket tach, prolly mount it on the dash or something) and it turned like 4000 at 105 mph, he was just normal driving 5th gear. that thing ran really good, he got a 4.08 in it later and man that was a strong truck, he had it up to 120 once. just a factory 2.4L KM132 and all that. i would happily trade my 87 for it, slap some 17's or 18's on it and take it to maggie valley again!

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    the 2.4 peaks at 4500

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Removing the skid plate will create turbulence but should improve air flow from the engine bay (it'll dump heat faster, not that you'd need it at highway speeds...) I personally don't think it's a great idea though. The idea is to redirect the air from going straight under the truck - you could use a rubber extruded strip attached to the underside of the front valance/skirt. It's an old school way of doing it but it helps.

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Removing the skid plate will create turbulence but should improve air flow from the engine bay (it'll dump heat faster, not that you'd need it at highway speeds...) I personally don't think it's a great idea though. The idea is to redirect the air from going straight under the truck - you could use a rubber extruded strip attached to the underside of the front valance/skirt. It's an old school way of doing it but it helps.
    ok, i have a custom design plate that is supposed to be the best of both worlds, aka a batter flowing skid plate while still doing its job. its not that heavy as it is made out of 1/2" aluminum. my uncle had it built at a fab shop. its basically a factory plate with more slots in it. its in his shop rn, as well as a custom grind cam that i prolly wont use and a 2.6L block/crank that sat outside for 10 or 15 years

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by bitrootvz View Post
    just wondering what you mean by "don't have 1st or 2nd gear". if you mean it won't engage it might be as simple as the plastic cup that sourounds the ball on the end of the shift lever is worn out so it isn't giving you enough throw. real easy fix and can be bought on ebay. I actually 3d printed one until the oem part came in.
    This and the GL4 oil info is worth knowing about; thanks for sharing... I'm not only posting to "Thank You" but I might be able to find this info again IF the Forum has a way for me to see all my posts...

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Ive got the stock skid plate and its staying. Dont want turbulent air down there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12