Array
    Status
    Tustin, CA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T

Cooling fan

Do any of you fine folks know where to get a replacement fan for a diesel? RockAuto has 4 different replacement clutches but no fans. The gas and diesel motors use a different clutch. Any ideas? Mine is starting to crack.

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    You can pull a junkyard fan off of another engine. My dad has a 4D55-T swapped 1987 Ram 50, I think hes been running the fan/clutch off of a 2.6L engine for about 6 years at this point. I think the 2.4L and 2.0L fan/clutch setups use the same basic bolt pattern too

Array
    Status
    Tustin, CA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    That is what is strange. The fans for the 2.0, 2.4 and 2.6 are easy to get. They show in everone's catalog as not being compatible. The water pump on the diesel has a 24mm pilot. The question would be is the gas engines have the same pilot size. If the pilot is the same they should interchange. It is about $50 to order a new clutch and fan for a 2.6.

Array
    Status
    Tustin, CA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I just checked and according to Hayden the clutch for the gas engines has a .63" pilot. That makes the gas pilot much smaller than the diesel. The fan bolt diameter is smaller also.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Go electric and do away with the belt driven fan.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ^ +1 on that. One of the most worthwhile mods you can do to these trucks.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    If i remember right, i used a clutch from a 95 ranger with the 2.3, my 4d56 fan blade bolted right up.
    if you need a new blade, you can find them on ebay for the 4d56 you just need to be sure you get the right diameter

Array
    Status
    Texas
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    Go electric and do away with the belt driven fan.
    I'm about to convert my 86 Ranger Diesel to an electric fan. Hope it will free up some HP and maybe see a rise in MPGs. I'm guessing that the best place for the temp sensor is to T into one of the hoses going to the heater core? Is this ideal? If so, which one?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by longbedGTs View Post
    I'm about to convert my 86 Ranger Diesel to an electric fan. Hope it will free up some HP and maybe see a rise in MPGs. I'm guessing that the best place for the temp sensor is to T into one of the hoses going to the heater core? Is this ideal? If so, which one?
    The best place would be either in the bottom tank of the radiator (the manufacturers standard location) or in a joiner in the bottom radiator hose. If you put it anywhere upstream the fan will try to run continuously - the engine will hardly reach operating temperature (beating on the fan and drawing current off the battery unnecessarily). By placing it where the coolant has passed through the radiator, the temp sensor will 'know' it's temperature had dropped to below operating temps and shut off. Get one of those hose adapter things off ebay. Cheap and they work.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I am pretty sure the Mazda B2000-B2600 are also a useful find in the wrecking yards for related truck parts for us. I know the window scrapes on the mazda trucks work even better then ours do.