Array
    Status
    Kellogg, Idaho
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64

wiper motor

I installed a used wiper switch and I have wipers but they are very slow. sometimes the intermittent work and sometimes they don't. Can a relay cause this or just a worn out motor?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    There could be 2 reasons why they're slow - either something wrong with voltage/current in the system or mechanical. Hit the pivot arms with WD40 and open the drive gearbox and overhaul it with some fresh grease. There are supposed to be dust boots on the linkages but no doubt they perished years ago so maybe a clean up and some grease won't hurt there either. By eliminating friction from the equation you'll know it's an electrical problem. The next step would be to take apart the driver motor and clean up the armature and brushes in it and repack with grease. If they're fouled it would explain weak or erratic actuation from the wiper end of the assembly. I think it's unlikely the relay is the issue but not impossible, so it then comes down to wiring/connections or the switch assembly. There are aerosol cans of electrical contact cleaner available so as a last resort maybe flush out the switch with a few blasts of that .
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Geezer, not to thread jack but is there any way to add a beefer motor to them to maybe get more movement?? I have cleaned and changed motors and they are still relatively slow as op states even on the fast setting.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hmm, change the motor from another assembly? I know that heater blower fans with a higher wattage motor can be swapped from later Mitsubishis to beef your vent flow. We had Magnas as a source for up specced blower motors and this is one mod I should've used when I rebuilt my heater unit. Would've been worth it with my A/C. I hate sketchy electrics and although the systems in Gen 1's and 2's are reliable in stock form, the cracks show up quickly when you put demand on them. Maybe time for me to do a field trip and see what will swap or if one can be modded to work
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Don't no if a montero or others will work or if there is any difference in them but worth a try. I'm sure a bracket can be modded or wires attached to an different wiper motor but I'm sure it's going to need to have the same options the ram/MM has. OP I WOULD DEFINITELY CLEAN THE ARMS under the crowl as they tend to rust and bind over time

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    You have an issue somewhere. Mine move way too fast even on their slowest setting

Array
    Status
    Kellogg, Idaho
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I took the system apart and cleaned every thing and it seems to work much better although the intermittent doesn't work. maybe some day it will start again.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Do you still have a ground wire going from the body of the motor to the mounting bolt?

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by maxdsm View Post
    Geezer, not to thread jack but is there any way to add a beefer motor to them to maybe get more movement?? I have cleaned and changed motors and they are still relatively slow as op states even on the fast setting.
    Mine actually go slower on the 2nd setting LOL. I'm guessing mine is a voltage problem but haven't looked into it yet.

Array
    Status
    Kellogg, Idaho
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    yes that was one of the first things I tested. the grease in it was hard as a rock.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I've considered using heim joints from ebay to rebuild the pivot arm linkages. Good thing is they're cheap to buy, fully adjustable and don't have plastic bushings - the bad part is making the modifications to adapt them. It's a one way deal as it requires grinding off the pivot ball on the linkages to attach some kind of stud for the heim joints to bolt on to. A couple of threaded rods and voila! new wiper links.