Array
    Status
    Rock Hill, SC
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Question Lowering Question?

Ok I have a 3 inch block kit and I am goin to cut my springs 1.5 coils to get the ride height I want, but I hear about the middle leaf removal. What does the middle leaf removed does to the suspension?

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Taking out the middle leaf is gonna lower the rear some more. How much lower all depends upon the condition of the leaf springs . Taking out the middle leaf is gonna make the others work a little harder and they might end up sagging some over time. If you take them out and dont like it you can always put them back. Sometimes going too low in the rear changes the angle of the driveshaft and it can hit the bottom of the truck( i think that is more of a problem on extended cabs). You might end up needing angled drop blocks to correct the pinion angle. Also with drop blocks you tend to get more wheel hop and axle wind up because of the leverage on the real leaf springs has changed.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Agree with what crvtec90 said, and removing the middle leaf will give you approximately a 2" drop.
    Last edited by DroppedMitsu; 04-09-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Array
    Status
    Rock Hill, SC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Well I lowered it and didnt removed any leafs cuz all I have is 2 leafs and helper spring. so I put on the 3 inch blocks and cut the extended u-bolts so I wont hit anything with them. It gave me a 2inch drop at least cuz it is sitting low and I like the stance. Thank you for all the information. now I know lol

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    have any pics??? just curious on the outcome..

glad to hear you got it lowered

Array
    Status
    Rock Hill, SC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Im happy too and just doing the front now, but had to stop due to rain grrr lol Check out my profile. I just posted a album of Lowering My M3 Sport check it out. Thanks

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    So you'll be dropping aprox 3/3 or pulling leaf 3/5? On extended cabs I believe they have the 2 piece drive shaft and not the one piece like the reg cabs. I'm a little curious as to how far you'll go in lowering.

Array
    Status
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    ext. cabs do have a 2 piece driveshaft and im pretty sure that keeps it from rubbing the cab

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Quote Originally Posted by LethalEthan View Post
    ext. cabs do have a 2 piece driveshaft and im pretty sure that keeps it from rubbing the cab
    That's what I thought. So it Would be more of a problem with the reg cabs. Just the same issues with drive line angle.

Array
    Status
    Rock Hill, SC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I have a 2 piece cuz my truck is a longbed reg cab but I will not be pulling a leaf and I want to cut the coils but I dont want the front sitting lower than the back I want it even. So a 1 3/4 cut or 1 1/2 or 1 coil cut??

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    One coil cut would be about 2 inches drop. 1.5 coils cut is 3. With the oem rake of the truck it's 2 inches higher inthe rear then the front. So with a 3/5 drop it'll be a flush drop or 3/4 drop with a 1 inch rake.

Array
    Status
    Rock Hill, SC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I left the all the leafs in place and added my 3inch blocks so even flush will be cutting the front coils 1 coil cut? I get confused easily with math sorry.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    One coil cut with a 3 inch block would be a 2/3 drop with a one inch rake. Even drop with the 3 inch block would be cut half a coil dropping 1/3.

Array
    Status
    Rock Hill, SC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I dont mind a bit doing a half a coil cut to get it even. Thank you for your help. I will keep the pics coming so check out my profile and thanks again.:D

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Not a problem with the questions. Aak away. It not only helps you but would help others with similar questions as well. Also keep us active.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    two pc. drive shafts are great. I keep a couple on hand. I am thinking of running one on my reg. cab. short bed. mighty max. I am gonna experiment with it and see..

yeah what ever you do just remember what they said above. the rear sits around two inches higher.

if you are not happy you can always go lower.....

and its ok to run only one leaf with blocks, just run the helper on top for acle wrap reduction, and smoother ride....

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    My front springs are worn. I have coil spring spacers in there already on the left front and it still is uneven. So If yours are showing their age like mine then You really only have a good average of how much the drop will be. Did u make sure to cut the bump stops in the rear? After u cut the front coils make sure u get an alignment. A 2 inch drop in the front can be at least a 1/2 degree of camber which is a country mile in terms of tire wear.

Array
    Status
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    +1 on the alignment. If I remember correctly last time I had my isuzu up on the rack it had -2degrees of front camber and It's dropped about 4-5in in the front.

Array
    Status
    Rock Hill, SC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Got it lowered and it looks great and handles a lot better than I would ever thought. I cut the front springs 3/4 of a coil each and it dropped 1 inch exactly made the truck handle and stance is even from front to back I love it!:D

Array
    Status
    Rock Hill, SC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I just posted pics of the finished product of the lowering so enjoy!:p

Array
    Status
    Fort Lewis, WA
    Yeah this thread helped me cause im getting ready to drop mine as well, but its my first lowering attempt so I have no clue what to do.... lol
    My back end sits a bit higher then the front stock, i want to drop it, but not sure what i need to do to get it level.

Hey tek... Can u summarize exactly what you did, (to the front and back) and what the exact inches the truck was lowered as a result. You can shoot it to me in a PM or just post it here. Thanks.

**Also... Not sure if its cause your front is on concrete and back is in grass, but your back ends looks a little lower than the front.**

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Told you this thread helps others.

Actually my bumper is like that too. The bumper itself hangs kinda low. If your confident in your surroundings then you can always remove the rear bumper for a cleaner look. and it makes one less thing hit the ground. lol

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    lookin good man...and yeah you would be surprised how many people that arent even members will get use of this...its crazy....

keep up the good work..

Array
    Status
    Rock Hill, SC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64

Yea Ram50Man I will summerize about after I get off work and its the concrete sidewalk it sits higher than my grass but when it is sitting on level asphalt its dead level lol. I am very happy it does help people out thats is what we surpose to do I enjoy helping people lol. Yea I may take the back bumper off but I am still deciding it dont scrap yet hahaha but if it does and I just might. thanks for all the compliments makes me feel good about my work on my truck. I love this site it has help very much and everybody keep up the great work too and i will get back to it asap.:D

Array
    Status
    Rock Hill, SC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    [Front]

(I suggest doing one side at a time and PB Blaster and a BFH lol)

1. Remove nuts and bolt that holds ur sway bar and the two nuts underneath the bottom A arm that holds the strut bar and holds the bumpstop. (remember to cut the bumpstop in half for a smooth ride!)

2. Remove tie rod end off of the spindle.

3. Remove shock completely.

4. Put jack under control arm just barely underneath about a 1/4 inch so it will catch it.

5. Remove cotterpin from bottom spindle mount and loosen the nut dont take it off all the way so when you knock the side of the control arm it will pop the spindle up and the control arm down hince having the jack underneath the control arm to not let spring hit you in the face.

6. Lower control arm slowly and you might have to wrestle with the spring to manuevor it out of the spring pocket.

7. I cut mine 3/4 of a coil to get a 1 inch drop to level my truck from having the 3 inch blocks in the rear with all the rear springs still in place which included mine with 2 actual springs and a Helper spring.

8. Just install in reverse order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast