Thread: Battery Ground Location? (Newbie here)

Array
    Status
    Bethesda, MD
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Battery Ground Location? (Newbie here)

Hi
    Greetings everyone. Thank you for letting me join. I bought my 88 2WD 2.0 a few months ago. The other day, it would not start. I finally discovered that there is a ground cable hanging below the engine. See attached pic (sorry for bad quality- cable end is in right hand part of pic). I looked at other posts and found a few about the ground, but I'm not sure where it finally attaches. Is someone able to tell me where this should be bolted back on? I appreciate any advice anyone has to offer. Thank you in advance. - KG
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Hi, SouthATX, and welcome to the forum.

That likely bolted to the frame near the front of the engine. Look down and see if there is a bolt on the frame that seems to have no purpose.

The two photos following are from my '90, so I'm not sure that the configuration is the same, but it gives you an idea.
    From the frame, the cable continues to the engine block.

100_0557.jpg 100_0556.jpg
    Last edited by royster; 11-13-2018 at 12:41 PM.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. There is a threaded bolt hole in the side of the block under the A/C mount (it's sort of in line with the mounting bracket bolts but set back a bit) The bolt has a hefty sized head on it too - 17mm. Everything is going to need a big clean to ensure a solid ground. Use non caustic oven cleaner and an old brush - it will make short work of it (having a pressure washer will help too) This would be a good opportunity to go through and check all the ground leads and clean the crud off them. Bad grounds cause all kinds of electrical glitches.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Bethesda, MD
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Thanks!

this is great info! thank you both!!!!