Array
    Status
    The burg
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

86 g63b issues

Hey guys , I inherited a 86 colt vista g63b SOHC carb manual trans 4x4 ( I know not a sweet little pickup ) but having a hard time finding info on on replacement parts . Thought you guys may have some insight on these motors . Not many people out there restoring vistas lol. Sat for 10 + yrs with bad head gasket . 33k original miles . I Replaced gaskets, machined head , new timing belt , water pump , tensioners . Rebuilt carb flushed tank and replaced fuel lines . All vacuum lines checked and replaced if needed . Got it all timed/tuned up and running good . The problem - runs great then looses spark once warm / hot . After cool down restarts/ runs good until heat returns. It dies like running out of fuel but fuel pressures all check out . When it is in a no start/ hot state I have no signal coming from distributor to condenser ? On the coil . Tested with test light cranking over Motor w clutch in . Icm in distributor ? Local parts stores can’t find replacement distributor and replacement icm is 208 bucks( and it doesn’t look right compared to the one in my distributor) . Any ideas where to get good aftermarket distributor ? Am I completely confused as to what’s going on with this thing ? I feel like I’m close but still missing something. Never been to savy with electric systems. Thanks

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Ok as a general rule of thumb - look at the coil and/or the ballast resistor for problems. It's exhibiting classic symptoms of a dead coil pack or the ballast resistor ceramic body has cracked. It'll start fine when cold and run ok - until it heats up (and the ballast resistor will get HOT if it's failed - a quick touch by hand when the engine has died will tell you straight up) Won't start for 10 -15 minutes. Then rinse and repeat. A coil really should be replaced every 10 - 15 years max and I'd buy a replacement with the ballast resistor integrated into it as to kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    The burg
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thx geez I’ll go check it out

Array
    Status
    The burg
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Ok , replaced coil and ballast resistor . Ran smoother and longer than before but still same symptoms. Started to sputter out in third gear pulling a pretty good hill . Not lugged but at the top of gear in pretty good rpm ? Any more ideas??? Thanks

Array
    Status
    The burg
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    K , changed coil , ballast resistor . Ran smoother and longer than normal ... but same symptoms are still present . Started to sputter out on a pretty good pull in third gear at hi rpm . Died and would not start for 10 min . Limped her home and back to square one . Any more insight ¿¿ thanks

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hmm. Fuel pressure checks ok. Carb rebuilt. Still think it's an ignition problem though due to the other related symptoms. The ICM should be readily available on ebay and at a reasonable price. Complete reman'd distributors can be had for $70ish USD. Look up the equivalent part # for the ICM on ebay and I guarantee it'll be a heap cheaper than the price you've been quoted.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    The burg
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Sorry for the late response, holidays over and back to the vista . Think I’m going with a new / reman distributor. Any brands known to be good or junk ?

Array
    Status
    93101, CA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    so any news? It's been since 2019.