Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other

My Minor

This thing hangs out in the back of most of my pictures. So here's a run down

I bought it 10 years ago looking like this

It's a 1951 4 door Morris minor. Powered with a 918cc side valve 4 cylinder engine and a 4 on the floor box.

I painted it Matt black and daily drove it while I was at uni.

Gradually I started fixing it up and replacing all the worn out stuff. Not too bad for rust, everything rubber had failed, and the brakes were toast.

And since then it's been in and out of storage. I usually do a bit of work on it every year or so
    At this point every part of it has been apart and replaced or rebuilt, or modified. I'm at the point where I'm replacing stuff I originally replaced when I got it......
    Paint has taken a hammering in storage so it's due for a touch up. Probably black again. I have red leather seats front and back, new black carpets and headliner, still need to do the doors. I made a custom 5 dial instrument panel and have a very rare clock in the glove box and Speedo with trip meter
    Engine wise I have skimmed the head to up the compression, tracked down a rare optional water pump (not fitted unless special order) ported the intake and exhaust, lightened the flywheel, and most recently fitted a twin carb and tubular exhaust (I also have a small supercharger that I might put on). I also have an electric fan.

I have a lowlight grill I'm going to put fog lamps in

Currently it's lowered 2 inches front and back, but I don't know now, I'm getting too old to try get under low stuff. Shocks are lever arm and we're rebuilt at great expense

Just last week I got stuck back into it

Ran some fuel lines for the twin carbs (fuel pump failed and rebuilt last year)

And skimmed the flywheel and put a new clutch in as I had a bad shudder (mixed some used parts I had and it didn't work out unfortunately so all new now)
    And added another muffler, a wide band port, and a v band clamp to my custom stainless "bigbore" 1 1/2" exhaust

Doesn't seem like it, but dang that's 10 years of work

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Though I should add, the only work i didn't do myself was resleaving the master cylinder, skimming the head and surfacing the flywheel. Not too bad I think.

Coming up this round of work?
    Well I still have to put the gearbox back in. And in order to get it out I had to take the master cylinder out so put all that back in. Bleed the brakes etc.
    Tune the twin carbs, I have all new needles and gaskets in them.
    Some rust has come through in the boot lid (I fixed it years ago, but the factory drain holes are an inch from the bottom and it only empties water when you lift it and have your head underneath). I have a set of wheels to have the centres knocked out and put in modern rims (too much hadtle getting 135/14 tyres, plus they don't have safety lips so the tyres are prone to falling off when driven hard)
    Swap out the grill and inner guards for the low light ones
    Retrim door panels
    Install beehive heater (luxury!)
    Some of the wiring could do with attention is all the original and largely in modified but man it's brittle.

That's more or less it this time around. I think I'll touch up a few repairs and bits for a fresh coat of paint next time

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    As a kid I used to see moggies all over the place, like minis and beetles. Now - nada. I bet you don't see any of them in the land of the long white cloud either. You gonna heat wrap the headers? It might help with keeping your intake temps a little lower. Such a fun thing to drive around in I bet
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net Get perks and donations $15 USD and over receive official MightyRam50.Net window decals

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Memory lane, for me - I had a '58 two door back in 1974. I traded a '61 Valiant for it. It still could be hand-cranked, so I can say that at least once in my life, I hand-crank-started a car - but not before it whacked the hell out of my forearm.

The wiring fried, one day, and I sold it for $50 to a Morris Minor enthusiast. Of course, the steering wheel was on the left side.

Thanks for sharing this, Tortron!
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Plenty of minors about in NZ geezer. In the summer I see at least one a week, saw 2 in one day on opposite sides of the city the other day (one was even a van). Still get offered wrecks when people find out I have one so plenty rotting away behind sheds and the like!

No plan on wrapping these ones, I did the last set I built and the runners actually iced up. They are about twice as long as the original (heated by the exhaust log manifold. Yuck) and incorporate Bakelite spacers, so there's minimal heat transfer. Might paint them white 50s style.
    The direction of the build is how I would have had it if I built it in the 50s, perhaps leaning towards a factory special. So keeping everything period correct (yeah I'm cheating with the electric fan, but the solid mount fan on the generator sucks and I already lost a radiator to it. Plus the distributor is actually a modern repo with a full electronic setup inside, I found my o.g. had some weird play in the body after skimming the head....)
    So that's basically why I'm not swapping the engine. An a series, it even better a Datsun A series would be dirt cheap, bolt right in, and make twice the power right off the bat..

Roster - sounds like a good swap! I considered a lhd conversion just for a laugh, it only takes a couple hours (apart from the gauges in these early ones not being in the centre). When I first got this one the starter was broken so I used the crank start for about a year before fixing it, never any problems apart from the wof inspectors complaining about it not being practical....
    Unfortunately I can't use it now with the electronic dizzy. But I do still run a generator rather than an alternator (oh yeah it's converted to negative earth too) so could fix the original and keep it in the boot just in case

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The negative earth explains why it hasn't turned into a pile of iron oxide by now. English cars... Is there a big NZ enthusiasts community with Morries that keeps them going? It's funny how such a tiny country has such a diversity with vehicles - too bad you guys get fiercely gouged at the petrol pumps. My local price for 91 is about $1.30 p/L AUD (it was $1.62 a few weeks ago) I had a little Ford Prefect for a while but the rust was out of control and a bunch of the mechanicals had been cobbled together badly. I then had my eye on an '53 Anglia for a pocket hotrod but I had to pass on that project.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net Get perks and donations $15 USD and over receive official MightyRam50.Net window decals

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181208_162133.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	21358
    Gearbox and cross member back in and attached to the driveshaft.
    Special ordered some 30mm copper washers for the engine and gearbox sump bolts. So they are in and filled with fresh oil.

Now I need to put the master cylinder in and rebleed the whole system.
    And then finally, at last, I can staet on tuning the carbs

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It always amazes me with Brit gearboxes. They are so dinky to look at but are built to take a direct hit from a tank shell. I can't say I've ever heard of one 'blowing up' so to speak.