Thread: Chrysler D50 Sport 1979

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Wow, you blokes are rocket scientists compared to my Stromberg 97 brain... The most old school high tech machine I ever had was a 1955 Ford Fairlane 2dr sedan with a 272 cu in V8 & 3 deuce Offenhauser aluminum intake... A rebuilt 97 carb was $5.00 + core back in the middle 1960s at Western Auto Parts Stores in California...

Times have really changed; but you fellas are keeping history alive... I see more & more financial ads not to buy or lease autos & trucks just to help make ends meet... New vehicles cost an arm & a leg for a bit of luxury; I consider it a gift from God if you're lucky enuff to own a MM/D50/etc...

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    If you wanted to turbo the 2.6, get a magna intake and mod it for RWD. That gives you the MPI manifold you need. Unlike us in the US, you should have the Magna intakes there somewhere to grab...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    North Richmond, New South Wales, Australia
    Vehicle

1979 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    Yep, There's plenty of them around in wreckers no doubt. We'll see, at the moment i'm liking the idea of a nice engine build, increased comp and a 38mm weber. Probably the most cost effective for now and less time off the road. Thanks for everyone's interest in my utes! I'll be sure to start a thread when i start doing something with one of them.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    one would think the lawmakers would encourage later model/more advance powerplant swaps into antiques
    Instead, over-regulate and strangle you with red tape

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Those are some crowded Starion engine bays. I am surprised that they are still running the single injector system. The similar set up
    in Cordia turbos was woeful. Oz never had 2.6 turbo Starions - only the G63B turbo which was a good bit of kit. This is why I recommended the
    GH Sigma turbo gear. It uses a draw through turbo with a CD 175 style Stromberg carb on it. No ECU or electronics on it but it requires a
    distributor that is set up for boost.
    Starion electronics is as basic and crude as injection gets. Underhood is uncluttered when swapped
    On the right side is the cruise-control servo and emission cannister under the strut bar. Both omitted in swap
    Left side next to coil, that relay bank is not engine related. The ignitor/knock control underneath, is later version.
    Much smaller plastic earlier ones, fail @ solder joints. Some substitute the 'tiny' $20 GM 4pin module, tuck it away anywhere

TBI proven relable 30+ years later. Bolt-on mods take street starquests into 13 sec 1/4 mile. More aggressive hit high 12s
    Hot performance from stock ecu + plug-in mitsu turbos: 16g/17c/18g & 20g.... satisfies most goals, and does so on a budget
    Hence TBI poularity, in starions and numerous swaps(non-mitsu included). The truck/Raider/Montero crew love em too.
    Guestimate MPI conversions ~10%. Benefits only manifested if you gonna swing for the fences imo.
    ....i.e. say like a 60mm turbo @30psi plus a proven camshaft/valvetrain setup that actually "works"

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1979 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    Dash, for your interest, I'm not fighting a red tape battle. We have fairly new options for rego over here now- full rego, in which case I can more or less do what I like as long as the car can be passed with an engineer's report on the basis that it is classed as a commercial vehicle/ full chassis. Annual rego cost around $1600, drive every day of the week.
    Or: Historic rego: Car needs to be 'unmodified' and over 30 years old. Only needs a very basic annual roadworthy check and a certificate from a car club indicating current membership and that the car is in 'original' trim. Annual rego cost is $43 plus car club fees. 60 drive days per calendar year plus club events. Perfect for a weekend driver and the odd car show.
    Or: Conditional rego: A category made to suit things like tractors, forklifts, ATV's, Golf carts etc, which also seems to cover Hot Rods and other modified vehicles. Same deal re car club membership, drive days per year and annual cost as historic rego.
    Or: Rally rego: don't know all the ins and outs but seems to be a thing so rally cars can be driven to and from events, or from stage to stage on national roads, or to and from repairs etc. Also relatively cheap, but can't be used for a Sunday drive.
    So we have a few good options here really but we have to play by the rules. For example, on Historic I have to keep a very simple logbook of my 60 days. We have police cars here with number plate detection cameras which pick out unregistered vehicles etc out of the traffic, they also log Historic and conditional plates. One day, if i get pulled over for any reason, police will ask to see my logbook and go and check it against the log in their system. Each missing entry in my logbook is a $2000 fine, they notify my car club who in turn give me the finger and it's all over red rover!
    Given my yellow ute is so clean and original and has a bit of interesting history, I think it's best kept fairly fairly original and historic rego is good for the car's purpose and cheap. The blue ute, with the engine and bodywork mods i have in mind will end up suiting the conditional rego or rally rego categories. I figure the time and money is better spent on the blue ute with a 4g63t with more scope to tune some real power and torque, and it will mainly be used around a rally circuit and track days/ hill climbs etc.
    Sounds like you know your stuff with the Starion turbo/ TBI scene.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    One of the good things of living in South Oz is no annual inspections. If you are running a historic rego, the insurer checks it over to ensure it's in near original configuration before a motor vehicle inspection so you have fair warning if it's going to be knocked back. I only see 2 or 3 L200's that are daily driven here, the are so rare now. Too many idiots have cut them up and then got bored with them, or just simply wrote them off (like my yellow donor wreck that the PO rolled on a gravel road) Never even see them in U-Pull-It yards on on Gumtree for sale.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I had to Google it: rego is perhaps Australian slang for automobile registration (that's a question...) ?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1979 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    I had to Google it: rego is perhaps Australian slang for automobile registration (that's a question...) ?
    Haha, correct! So we have to register our cars to the state we live in, our authority is Roads and Maritime Services, RMS. Some states require roadworthy inspections annually on renewal, some only when a vehicle is bought then not again until it is sold again, which ultimately produces some pretty shitty cars on the road.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by MrL200 View Post
    Haha, correct! So we have to register our cars to the state we live in, our authority is Roads and Maritime Services, RMS. Some states require roadworthy inspections annually on renewal, some only when a vehicle is bought then not again until it is sold again, which ultimately produces some pretty shitty cars on the road.
    There are some cars that are crap magnets - normally 20 years old. They get to a point where they are considered worthless and end up getting beaten to death. The cars that survive that then start to gain value and even get treated better than newer cars when they fall into a niche like mini trucks. The statistics show that in S.A. is that 1% of vehicles that are involved in serious crashes are deemed defective at the time of the accident. It costs a fortune to inspect every car and stretches resources to do so (this is when small shops get kick backs for inspecting vehicles and some of them are guaranteed to be dealing under the table to pass cars) so for the time being, no inspections.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1979 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    Pros and cons... I think that the enthusiast sector of cars has increased in recent years tho, and our historic registration schemes are helping overall.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    MrL200,
    It looks likes regulation allows enough use to barely keep the vehicle functioning. Accomodating I suppose
    Reminds me of hotrod insurance or rental car agreements - pay them, but leave it parked

So cool to see old school rides motor down the street, among all todays modern garbage
    Can't resist the thought of a clean innocent appearing truck, on the outside.... stuffed with turbo 2.6 starion jewelery underhood.
    The look on peoples face, when u pop the hood at a car show
    ....or press the throttle and get pinned back in the seat, while leaving two black lines. No swap or cutting required
    I understand the yellow truck ain't that type of party tho.

Interesting plans for blue
    when u say build a "tray", are you referring to the bed on the back ?
    This type of bed might go well with your moded look. We call em 'stepside'

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1979 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    That's exactly what I have in mind. I have a later model diff I'd like to put under it which is 4" wider so plan to pump out the sides like this to accommodate it. This era of GMC truck was also my inspiration for the custom grille I made for the blue ute. It would also be cool to build a sleeper out of the yellow one. The good thing about playing with these cars- they're never 'finished', so changes can always be made!

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I was toying with the idea of modding something from a similar era and shape front end like this -
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-83-Mal...GQl7:rk:1:pf:0
    And then I noticed there are billet grilles for these models as well. The profile looks similar to the L200 front end. A bit of trimming, some hand formed brackets, a H4 headlight swap and some LED DRL/driving lights + indicators - and there's a complete custom front.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1979 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    I was toying with the idea of modding something from a similar era and shape front end like this -
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-83-Mal...GQl7:rk:1:pf:0
    And then I noticed there are billet grilles for these models as well. The profile looks similar to the L200 front end. A bit of trimming, some hand formed brackets, a H4 headlight swap and some LED DRL/driving lights + indicators - and there's a complete custom front.
    If the angle is right, it looks like it would be fairly easy to fit, but you would need head light surrounds. The grille i made for the blue ute has a full flat return to the top of the radiator support. I will track down photos soon. I think I'm going to go back to twin headlights and standard shape bonnet with it now but I will most likely make another pattern and mould for a fibreglass 'GSR' grille with the same return back to the radiator support- makes it a lot simpler to mount. Something like that billet grille could be mounted at the top to a fiberglass grille that also has headlight surrounds. Probably worth the punt to get one of those billet grilles to see how close the angle is. Would also not be that difficult to make one the same way getting someone to bend the 1/4"bars & drilling off rivet holes.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Blue should be nice

the rear diff in those GMC trucks and the 1st gen are reasonably strong
    I got one of each for my corollas. They are actually like 1.5 inches narrower than stock rolla diff.
    ~4-5 inches less than Mmax/D50..... so good if u wanna go deep dish and stay tucked under

That 2nd gen GMC Sonoma is actually my favorite pickup. A wee bit bigger than our mitsus.
    Alot more comfortable and even the 2.2L 4cyl drive alot different, with decent torque/lower rpms
    Huge aftermarket. Killer looks once setup right

I know someone who bought one brand new, then shipped it off for a corvette LT1 V8/manual gearbox install
    Had it slammed, on custom Boyds staggered/deep out back(but all fit under wheelwells). Show quality stuff

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1979 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    Awesome! That LTI converted pickup sounds tough. I guess those diffs are narrow because they commonly have dual wheels right? One option I have considered over here is one of our ford 9" diffs shortened up. Could go disc brakes and 5 stud then- opens up heaps more wheel options and puts a bit more weight in the back. Would def look at that if I was considering V8 conversion.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    No duallys, those GM mini trucks axles are just a nice short length.
    Lightest rear end that withstands the torque is always best.
    Good grab if u have them around. Plentiful, cheap with ideal ratios high/mid/low 3s : 1 . Both mine free
    Ditto DSM rear disc/caliper/cable. Make a bracket

full size chevy truck diffs from that era ALWAYS fail tho. Weird

Array
    Status
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    That's a beauty, MrL200! I've been looking for a yellow Dodge D-50 Sport or yellow Plymouth Arrow Sport to keep my 1980 Dodge D-50 Sport company.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12