Array
    Status
    Oregon
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

Too hot?

Previous owner told me the truck could get hot and made it sound like it would be a problem and something I needed to accept considering the price he was selling it for. But after taking it to a mechanic, he said he didn’t see any reason for the truck to get hot and told me to go ahead and buy it.

After driving it a bunch for 3 weeks, the truck has never overheated past the 3/4 mark. Every morning, though, it flirts with the 3/4 mark and then goes down to the halfway point. It seems to only happen in the morning when I usually turn the engine on, leave the heater on for 10 minutes while cabin heats up and windows defrost, and then get on to drive. After driving it for 5 minutes or so the gauge starts going up, gets close to the 3/4 mark (never hits it) and then goes back down.

I’m guessing all of this is normal and nothing to worry about. Just curious as to how hot your trucks run.

Here’s a picture of the meter. When I took the picture it just started going back down so it does get a tiny bit hotter than what’s showing.

CameraZOOM-20181023081548844.jpg

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I have a G54B and it does the exact same thing. I have a second temp gauge. Mine gets up to anywhere from 200-220 before the thermostat opens and it drops back down to 190. Old gauges and sending units sometimes aren't super accurate. Judging from where that needle is relative to my second gauge, I'd guess its about 220 degrees there. Just to the left of vertical is 190