Array
    Status
    Roanoke VA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Liland global radiator

There might be a thread already on here about this..I need to flush and replace my radiator on my 88 power ram 50 2.6L....not sure if you can state the auto parts store that has this but they say that the liland global all aluminum radiator will bolt into my truck...Part # 188AA...Does anyone know if this is correct?

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I installed the Liland aluminum radiator in my '88 4x (manual trans) a year ago. Pretty much a piece of cake. The only adjustments needed were to the overflow hose and the fan shroud. The overflow tube at the Liland radiator neck pointed toward the battery. I replaced the original tube with a longer one and routed it to the overflow bottle. The hose fit nicely between the radiator top and the fan shroud. I also had to drill new mounting holes in the shroud because the bolt holes on the Liland are to the inside of the radiator sides. On the stock rad, they were to the outside.

Array
    Status
    Roanoke VA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ok..so basically a bolt on...was it the plastic shroud you had to drill or the radiator.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by nsman View Post
    Ok..so basically a bolt on...was it the plastic shroud you had to drill or the radiator.
    I had to drill the shroud, which on mine is metal. The radiator side rails are constructed to accept a fan shroud without modification so you don't have to mess with the radiator. If you have a plastic shroud, the mount points might match the radiator's pattern. You'll have to find out and adjust the shroud accordingly.

Array
    Status
    Roanoke VA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ok..thanks..my shroud is plastic...will see how it fits...does the radiator cap come with the radiator or do you need to order one?

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    It doesn't come with a cap. It takes the smaller diameter, 13 psi cap.

Array
    Status
    Roanoke VA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ok..not sure which one that is on the site I'm buying radiator from...also..is the inlet and outlet on the radiator the same as stock...hose diameter the same?..I wonder if I should just wait and take radiator into auto parts store here in town and tell them I need a cap to fit this radiator?...Thanks for your help.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    If you're not sure what to order on-line, definitely take the radiator to a parts store. They should have no problem fitting it with the proper cap. Also, the inlet and outlet locations and their diameter on the 188AA radiator matched the stock radiator I replaced. You shouldn't need to change your hoses if your radiator is stock (and the hoses are in good shape). Other than having to reroute the overflow hose, I found the installation easy and the radiator quality good. Best thing about the Liland is it's core has two rows rather than one. So it has greater capacity and better cooling.

Array
    Status
    Roanoke VA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Fantastic...thanks for the help!

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I run an oversize Flex A Lite electric fan (model 30) and clearance is a bit tight. Is this radiator the same approx. thickness as the stock one? Thanks for this informative post!

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahlr View Post
    I run an oversize Flex A Lite electric fan (model 30) and clearance is a bit tight. Is this radiator the same approx. thickness as the stock one? Thanks for this informative post!
    The Liland 188AA is 2-3/8" thick based on the width of the side rails that have the mount holes for the radiator and a shroud (or fan?). I don't have a stock radiator to measure, but I'd bet this dimension is greater on the Liland which could make your tight situation a bit tighter.