Array
    Status
    Oregon
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

Check Engine

Would it be normal is this light turned on/off randomly and frequently? Previous owner said it had been that way for as long as he could remember. I took the truck to a mechanic and he said motor was great. Changed valve gasket and no oil spills since. But light keeps going off. I guess I could learn to ignore it if it's no big deal.

Cheers fellas.

Array
    Status
    Oregon
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Would it be normal if this light*

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It shouldn't blink at all under normal circumstances. Did the PO or you notice anything screwy going on during the CEL activation? Could be the O2 sensor glitching or something causing a misfire. I would get an ECU diagnostic run on it and see if it is showing an error code (it would be good if it was able to pull up old error codes as well but it doesn't work that way...)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Oregon
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    @geezer101 not sure what CEL activation is. PO said it had always been that way. In addition to the valve cover gasket (which was replaced), the mechanic suggested a standard tune-up (ie change spark plugs, cables, rotor and distributor cap and a few other things I can't recall). Not sure if any of these things would cause the check engine light to come on/off a bunch of times on a 20 minute drive.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    CEL (check engine light)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Oregon
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Where is the port located in my 92 ram 50 4x4 and is it an ob1 or ob0. Thanks. They couldn't find it under the dash.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Isn't it the diagnostic/tune adjust wire in the engine bay?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    No that wire is to set the timing. The OBD1 wire is under the dash, but I am not sure where, as I never owned one with EFI.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The 1991 electrical shop manual I have shows a "self-diagnosis check connector" below the lower row of fuses behind the dash fuse box cover. Might be the same for your '92. I couldn't find anything that stated whether it was OB1 or OB0.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Ok first step download this Manual http://www.mightyram50.net/d-50/Fact...-1983-1993.zip

Its in the 216 Manuals post in the http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...er-Source-Info on this site. lots of goodies in this section, it's near the bottom of the forum.

in the manual go to chapter 6, Page 6-26 for Malfunction Codes, It will tell you how to read them, there is also a picture of where the connector is on the page also. its under the cabin fuse panel. the text is wrong about it being below the radio , haynes aint perfect.
    Last edited by SubGothius; 01-24-2023 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Fixed broken link