Array
    Status
    Oregon
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

Clutch replacement

The guy who sold me my 92 MM told me the clutch might need replacement soon.

When I drive it, I have a little difficulty getting it into 1st gear, but other than that it's smooth sailing.

How do I know if and when I have to replace the clutch? What's a ball-park figure to replace it ($)?

Thanks guys.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    A clutch adjustment or trans fluid change might improve the 1st gear shifting. But with 128k it could be a matter of wear and tear and not worth fixing until the trans needs major repair.

If the clutch is original, 128k is good mileage for a clutch. I only go 100k, but a friend got 150k in his '86. In the engine bay, look at the clutch cable where passes through the firewall. I you only see a few (or less) threads on the threaded tube the cable goes into, a clutch replacement is in your future. Hopefully you still have some miles left, but exactly when it'll need replacement is hard to predict.

An old shop guide I have allots 5 hours for a 4x4 clutch replacement. With tranny shops in my area charging $100+ an hour, I'd have to pay 500-600 plus parts. I'd budget $200+ for quality parts and other incidentals. The parts should include a new pilot bearing which might improve the 1st gear shifting problem you described.