Array
    Status
    Oregon
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

The vato look

I dont know much about wheel sizes, but i just noticed my truck has 15" wheels and the tires look huge. Like they were made for rough terrain. Makes the truck look like a working man's truck.

I also notice that the higher you go in wheel size, the more the trucks have the vato look.

1. Is this an accurate statement?

2. What are the pros/cons of having smaller/bigger wheels besides the appereance?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The bigger the overall diameter of the tyre + wheel, the slower it will accelerate. It also drops torque to the wheels through the drivetrain (not great for 4x4's and steeper climbs) It will increase your max cruising speeds but throw your speedo readings out. Gotta say due to my geographics, never heard of the term 'vato look'...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Gotta say due to my geographics, never heard of the term 'vato look'...
    Vato is informal spanish and is referring to someone, like bro, or mate in your demographic. However, it is generally used by folks of latino (strongly Mexican) decent. They are known for low riding vehicles with a wide variety of wheel sizes, but mini trucks with large wheels is not uncommon.

Array
    Status
    tri cities tn
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63
    I've also never heard of vato. i like big wheels and smaller tires as well as small wheels and bigger tires. I am about to go down to 14's just because I picked up a set of 6' 5.5's for 80 bucks and figured I would see how well it rode. Bigger tire normally means a better ride in my opinion. but you are gonna lose some in the handling department in hard turns if you are into that sort of thing.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Could be a troll.
    Vato hasn't been in common use since the 70's AFAIK. This is the first time I have seen the term in use for more than a decade. I have not heard a person say it since teh mid 80's. It is also pronounced with the Spanish V not the English V.
    The tire thing he is referring to is low profile tires on larger wheels as opposed to normal sized wheels with good work tires on them.

Array
    Status
    DFW-TX
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    The term "Vato" in Texas generally translates to "homeboy", "buddy", or "friend" mostly used in the Lowriding community. Ex. Orale vato!