Thread: 1988 4x4 2.6L Auto engine swap options?

Array
    Status
    Smithsburg, MD
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72

1988 4x4 2.6L Auto engine swap options?

Current set up is a stock '88 sports cab 4x4 with the 2.6l and auto trans. trying to decide on what would make the most sense a 2.4 EFI, 3.0 V6 or a 4d56T? I know each swap has its issues, but I absolutely suck at carbs and love wiring. I'm looking at it from a more practical sense in parts availability and the most durability. I'm leaning towards the 2.4L as it seems to be the easiest, but I also love the idea of a diesel and the 3.0 should net me some nice HP gains..

My intentions are to have an mild over-landing rig, with a small body lift OME torsion up front and either longer shackles, lift springs or going spring over axle for the rear. It has 4.22's right now, but I am going to put 4.65's in. I just want to clear some 31's easily. It will be used as my Kayak hauler as well as box mover so I will be on the roads quite a bit as well.

Anyone want to throw their .02 in?

Oh, and there is nothing really wrong with the 2.6L I have in it now other than it is carbed (factory) and one of the end exhaust manifold studs is snapped off in the head and is leaking a bit.

thanks,
    Steve

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    The 2.4 4G64 and the 2.5 4D56T would both bolt up to the same motor mounts and transmission as the 2.6, so eother of those would be a pretty easy swap mechanically. The 4D56 would be easy electronically, but if you enjoy the electrical work then you'd have no problem making a 2.4 work, and parts are easier to come by for it too. The V6 is by far the most powerful engine option, but uses a slightly different transmission than the 4 cylinder engines, so there's that.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The V6 has to be crossed off the list unless you can find the whole drivetrain (then you could go all out and fit a 3.8 MIVEC). The auto may cause grief though with an engine swap. You could frankenstein a 2.4 with a twin cam head and even a turbo set up like an Evo or DSM but IDK if the trans would be up to it. Pulling the broken exhaust stud is a pain but things like that can be fixed. The factory Mikuni is not a friendly carby to work on and does restrict engine output. The 38 DGES is looking more like the better Weber carb to use on 2.6's if you plan on a performance upgrade.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Smithsburg, MD
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    The auto is replaceable. If needed, I was thinking a V5MT-1 for a manual. I do have a KM145 (?) from my parts truck I could use as well.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Sell your truck and pick up a 90+ V6. Easiest possible way to get what you want with the least money. Otherwise you will have to tackle all of your drivetrain and hack into your electrical.

Array
    Status
    Smithsburg, MD
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    That is what I started out doing. It would be nice to find one but around here the sport cab 4x4's are hard to find, especially with no rust.

Array
    Status
    az
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I know this thread is a couple of months old. However.... for anyone looking for info regarding the 2.4L engine swap it is not a "bolt in" swap on the 4X4 trucks. I just did this a bout a year ago on an 87 D50 (swapped the 2.6L for a 2.4L from a 92MM). I had to modify the motor mounts as they did not line up correctly with the 2.4L (the 2.4L mounts got misplaced and the 2.6L mounts made the 2.4 sit cockeyed to the passenger side of the truck so make sure you have the 2.4L engine mounts). The biggest issue however is you have to cut a chunk out of the oil pan and weld in a clearance dent otherwise the front diff will not clear the pan. From what I found doing research the 2.4L never came in the 4X4 trucks here in the U.S. Also make sure you get the fan shroud for the 2.4L radiator it will help make sure the motor is lined up correctly (the 2.6L water pump is in a different location on the motor in relation to the 2.6L engine).

All said, if I had to do it over I would try and find a wrecked newer Montero V6/auto SUV and pull the engine/trans and all associated wiring/computers/emissions and other BS from it. Finding 2.4L junkyard parts here in AZ is extremely difficult and Manual trans option is even more rare. But you can go into a JY and throw a wrench, you will probably hit about 3 Monteros with a V6/auto in it...

Mike.