Array
    Status
    rancho cucamonga ca
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Engine swap options

First, thanks to all of you who make this website possible. I am learning a lot.

I intend to replace the G63B in my 1987 Mighty Max. Living as I do in the leftist paradise of California the new engine must be 1987 or newer and come from another vehicle classified as a light truck.

It would be nice to keep my KM 132 manual transmission. I would also like to keep the new engine within the Mitsubishi family. This website has taught me enough about narrow blocks like mine to conclude that won't be possible. Am I correct or have I missed something?

4G64's from 93-96 Mighty Max's are available at salvage yards out here but I'm guessing being as they are wide blocks I will need the transmission as well as the engine from the donor vehicle to make it work.

I have some other non-Mitsubishi engine ideas but I'll save them for another discussion. Thanks in advance for any knowledge you care to share.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Unfortunately narrow blocks are relegated to FWD cars. The Max is one of those rare exceptions that either has the luxury of being converted to a twin cam DSM or Evo power or ends up being a donor vehicle to do the conversion in another car. Swapping both engine and trans from a later Max is easily do-able. They're configured the same. The 2.6 is a wideblock engine as well so, unless there's an engine swap regulation that prevents you from changing the transmission this should be an authorised swap.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Have any family living out of state. Have your registration address changed to maybe out of state? Not sure, since it's been so long since I lived in California about their laws. But, do they check engine codes now also when getting station checked? Hell, it seems they are pretty damn nosey nowadays and replacing the engine IMO is none of their business as long as it passes test. So glad I moved from that place to WA.
    After a car turns 25 years old here, you can put twin blowers or jet boosters on your own car if you like. Smog checks are null after that period and beyond.

Array
    Status
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    You may be able to do a 4b11 or a 4b12 as it may have the narrow bolt pattern.
    http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/i...=&fromsearch=1

I think the 4b12 would be a nice engine in the truck and the Hyundai Genesis Coupe is a RWD version of the 4b11t, so there should be parts to make any of the theta engines work.
    I wish I had access to the parts needed to check. If anyone gets bored, has access to the parts (or just feels like taking stuff apart at the junkyard), and wants to check it out, please let me know.