Array
    Status
    Amelia, VA
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

2.0 5spd Weber Conversion High Idle in Neutral After High Speed Driving

Finished up a 2.0 5spd weber conversion about 2 months ago and still adjusting to some things. My latest hiccup i seem to be troubleshooting though is in regard to a high idle after driving around for a while. When everything has warmed up and after going say 55 MPH and then coming to a light and having to go in neutral, the idle stays high. A quick hit of the accelerator and the idle drops. Not sure where to go with this and wondered if anyone has run into this before? Tried doing some searching but not seeming to find what i am looking for, or didn't understand what i was reading. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Try cleaning and oiling your choke linkage. Sounds like perhaps the choke fast-idle cam may not be disengaging smoothly, so a throttle-blip induces a vacuum pulse on the choke-pulloff that may unstick a slightly bound-up fast-idle cam.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Amelia, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Ok will do. It’s an electric choke and the Weber carb is a brand new red line kit that I bought so will definitely take a look. In terms of choke linkage I’m guessing that’s different than the actual carb linkage that works the primary/secondary? Sorry for my ignorance. Just want to make sure I go after the right thing. And is wd40 or on blaster an appropriate lubricant?

Array
    Status
    Amelia, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Figured out you probably mean just the butterflies and such. I had in my head something under the black cap. Gonna check all this out. Thanks again.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The "electric" part of the choke is just a bimetallic spring that heats up and unwinds as electric current flows through it. The outer end of that spring hooks into the choke linkage, which opens/closes the choke butterflies and also engages/disengages a fast-idle cam that holds the primary throttle open slightly to help prevent stalling until the engine warms up.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Amelia, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Thanks for that explanation. Been a little over a 100 with the heat index so haven’t gotten a chance to mess with it yet. Fingers crossed.