Status
    Spring Hill, FL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Replacing AC Compressor

Hi all,

I’m replacing my AC compressor, expansion valve, and accumulator/dryer and have a question. I bought a new replacement compressor and it’s not pre-oiled (manufacturer stated there’s less than one ounce in it). I’m not sure if I should use the amount of oil recommended for the original compressor or if this compressor needs a different amount. Does anyone know if the oil capacity is determined by the compressor itself or the overall system? I know this compressor takes a slightly different weight oil than the original. Thanks for any input you might have.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    oil type and amount will depend on the refrigerant you are going to use. What is the compressor set up for and what are you using - R12 or R134a?
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    i see this is an old thread but good info is good info. I just recently did mine and if cools amazing in minutes even is this south texas heat i am in. if your doing a r134a upgrade its is pag46 oil and the amount is just under 7.75oz. max If you have any doubts on oil capacity on your new one its best to just empty the oil in it and just add the correct amount through the correct port labeled on your new one. Then just add 2 cans of 12oz of freon and your set. The system takes a max of 28oz of freon. I hope this helps others i had problems finding those numbers from multiple sources but they all checked out.