Array
    Status
    Prescott Arizona
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B

New Northern AZ Member

Hey there everyone. A couple months ago I bought an 83 Power Ram D50 and finally decided to post up here. You guys have been awesome with sharing your knowledge and guiding me through some of my issues already.

So I saw this truck sitting in a parking lot with a for sale sign and thought I should go take a look at it. I didn't until a few days later and after a short test drive and grinding the gears trying to find second I bought it. Immediately I took it home, cleaned up the interior and fell in love with it. It was a second vehicle for me so getting a lot done wasn't much of a priority. Luckily my dad is freaking awesome when it comes to wiring so after spending a week trying to figure out what was actually happening he knocked it out of the park and got it all done. Pictures below show the carnage.

Still there is a lot that needs to be done but that's why I am here now. I just sold my other car so now this will get all the attention. Plans for this truck are fairly simple and straight forward. Currently it is the G63B motor with the 4 speed manual tranny. The carb that was on it when i bought it was a crappy weber fake so I got a real one and it made a huge difference. The goal is to make this a decent daily driver and that will start with finding a 5 speed manual trans. So if anyone knows where I can locate that, I would greatly appreciate it. Additionally I want to do the DOHC swap. Otherwise not a ton will go into it regarding modifications. Clean it up, quiet it down, drive it and enjoy it.

I do know that it has the 2nd gen leafs so it sits a little high in back and ultimately the goal would be a small lift, nothing crazy. After getting under the truck it looks like one torsion bar is maxed out and one it completely shot so I will have to figure that out as well. already replaced the shocks/struts and will be working on getting the other suspension components taken care of as well. So anyways, that seems like a lot for an intro but like I said, I hope to be here awhile and look forward to picking everyone's brain.

Anyways, thanks for reading everyone. Here are some pictures.

Day 1.
    IMG_1221.jpg

Not a beauty queen but great nevertheless
    IMG_1222.jpg

Pictures dont do it justice, the seat is very clean after cleaning it up
    IMG_1220.jpg

Oh yes, the awesome wiring. My dad is my hero
    IMG_1227.jpg

This is fine
    IMG_1234.jpg

Not worried about any fires here. At least the tape covered everything. That wasn't always the case
    IMG_1236.jpg

Not gonna need any of this...
    IMG_1233.jpg

So far I am happy with these
    IMG_1250.jpg

PS: I'll post in the wanted section but here is a quick list of things im looking for right off the bat:

1. KM145 Tranny
    2. Front quarter panels
    3. Driver side window internals
    4. DOHC head
    5. Torsion Bars

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. You are on game with your plans. Never ceases to amaze my why anyone needs to butcher the simplest wiring in the universe to make it work but it happens all the time. Both window mechs are available new in pairs - https://www.ebay.com/itm/FITS-MITSUB...AAAOSwgsxaa5YF
    Don't know what the quality is like but it has to be better than the 35 year old winders. No doubt you've already investigated what goes into a twin cam build but there are a couple of sources the 4G63 can be picked out of (early Hyundais and Kias besides Mitsubishi) Your truck looks nice and straight. A good intro. Keep us posted with progress and ask Q's when you need to
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Man, I gotta get on this 4wd bandwagon one day

Array
    Status
    Prescott Arizona
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. You are on game with your plans. Never ceases to amaze my why anyone needs to butcher the simplest wiring in the universe to make it work but it happens all the time. Both window mechs are available new in pairs - https://www.ebay.com/itm/FITS-MITSUB...AAAOSwgsxaa5YF
    Don't know what the quality is like but it has to be better than the 35 year old winders. No doubt you've already investigated what goes into a twin cam build but there are a couple of sources the 4G63 can be picked out of (early Hyundais and Kias besides Mitsubishi) Your truck looks nice and straight. A good intro. Keep us posted with progress and ask Q's when you need to
    I appreciate the link to that window mechanism. I will get that and give it a try. In regards to the head swap, I have a lot more information that I want to get and really just confirm that the info I do have is accurate and up to date. This forum is set up a little different so searching on here is something i have to get used to with this kind of setup. That combined with the fact there are 800 variants of the same motor can be confusing and I really just want to make sure I don't waste my time or money getting the wrong things.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Make sure the head is off a 6 bolt 4G63 engine. There are different diameter head bolts from the 1G 6 bolt and the 2G 7 bolt engines. Check places like http://projectzerog.com/ for solid info on what to look for and how to get it together.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    For torsion bars try here and look at 1st gen Montero - they are the same: http://adventuredrivendesign.com/oca...berian+Bushing. They also have the bushings for the front and rear in urethane
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980